Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need troubleshooting help

1. Back To Top    #1

Need troubleshooting help

I have algae in my pool for the third time this season. Each time I raise the chlorine level to SLAM level and maintain it until overnight chlorine loss is less than 1.

Each time, after passing the overnight chlorine loss test I let the chlorine drop to target level of 7 but when the chlorine drops to 8 or 9 the algae starts to grow again.

i am clearly doing something wrong. Any ideas?

I have been running the pump/filter for about 6 hrs a day (when NOT slamming, 24hrs/day during SLAMMING) could that cause algae?

FC 18 (goal. To bring it up to 22)
    CC 0.5
    CYA 55
    PH 7.2

thank you
    30,000 gallon gunite pool, cartridge filter, heater, Polaris

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need troubleshooting help

Well, you say you pass OCLT, but what about the other two criteria? CC and is the water clear. The water being clear includes seeking anything "funky" like live/dead algae.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Those are also fine. CC is 0.5 and pool is crystal clear.

Thanks.

4. Back To Top    #4

I am using my DPD test from last summer. The powder is a little blackish. Would that make it not accurate?

5. Back To Top    #5

Your experience is just another of a pattern I've noticed this year. The culprit: the pool light. Beneath ladder steps is another hiding spot. Think it's time to take back my pool... - Page 2
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks! Will def check the light. I have been brushing behind the ladder.

7. Back To Top    #7

Check that Polaris too, or just take it out. My pool cleaner had algae inside it and has been banned from my pool for a month.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

You say you brushed behind but did you also brush the underside????

How about all around the skimmer face? I found some on the bottom you cannot see.

Get your pool it's own toothbrush.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

So I had the filter cleaned and it was green! I have also been more careful about brushing the ladder, I believe that May have been part of the problem.

Overnight chlorine loss was zero last night. The problem is that I ran out of r-0871 drops so I can't test the water. Is there some other way I can know when the chlorine is low enough to swim in.

I ordered some more but it won't arrive until thurs and I'm anxious to get the kids back in the pool

thanks

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks mom View Post
    So I had the filter cleaned and it was green! I have also been more careful about brushing the ladder, I believe that May have been part of the problem.

Overnight chlorine loss was zero last night. The problem is that I ran out of r-0871 drops so I can't test the water. Is there some other way I can know when the chlorine is low enough to swim in.

I ordered some more but it won't arrive until thurs and I'm anxious to get the kids back in the pool

thanks
    It's safe to swim up to shock level. So if you weren't over shock level this morning, you also won't be when the kids want to get in. Using the chart "Chlorine Usage from UV" in Pool Water Chemistry it's safe to say you'll lose at least 1 ppm per hour FC in direct sunlight until FC gets below 10, when it will start to slow.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!