Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Soft Plaster Spots

1. Back To Top    #1

Soft Plaster Spots

Can anyone explain why parts of my pool floor feel soft when they're tapped underfoot?
    16,661 gal IG PebbleTec w/ Spa; 60 ft2 Jandy DE filter, 2 HP Jandy Variable Speed pump; 2 skimmer; 400K BTU Jandy heater; Polaris Sport; opened 9/15/14; TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Soft Plaster Spots

Uh oh. A PB/remodeler told us last week that's a sign of plaster delaminating (pulling away) from the gunite or concrete and water between the two. I'd find an expert to come out and check it!

12K Gallon IG Lap Pool (c. 2001)
    6.6 ft x 48 ft/White Plaster/Concrete
    Pentair Superflo VS Pump 2.0 HP/Sand Filter
    Dolphin S300i Robot/SolarBreeze Robot
    TFT-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I did some reading on delamination & it doesn't feel like a bubble per se, and I don't see any visible bulging. It's more like a hollow give feeling like in a bathtub. You don't feel it when walking on the surface, but if you kick it with the ball of your foot, it's a squishy thump. Not what I would expect to feel with Pebble plaster over concrete. Very hard to describe online.
    16,661 gal IG PebbleTec w/ Spa; 60 ft2 Jandy DE filter, 2 HP Jandy Variable Speed pump; 2 skimmer; 400K BTU Jandy heater; Polaris Sport; opened 9/15/14; TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I filed a warranty service request with the builder. They should be out to check sometime soon.