Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Robot for acorns?

1. Back To Top    #1

Robot for acorns?

We are planning a new pool build and were persuaded that a high end robot like the Dolphin would be the way to go. Now I'm concerned that the couple of red oak trees in the back yard might prove to be a problem for that kind of cleaner. Is there a way to deal with the acorns while keeping a robot, or should we look into another kind of cleaner altogether? We weren't even going to plumb for a pressure side cleaner, but maybe we should.

I figure we'll have to be manually scooping out leaves during the fall, and I'm also not sure how these cleaners handle leaves either. What do people do about acorns and does anyone have any tips for our situation? If we build what we are leaning towards, it will be a pretty big pool, lagoon shaped, 40x33x20 with an 8.5' deep end. Thanks!
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Robot for acorns?

We researched the heck out of all robot cleaners and bought the Dolphin s300i and could not be happier! The great thing about this model is that it has the largest opening we've seen to pick up large debris and also a large center section to hold it. There are also fine filters on the sides - so the best of both worlds. We have water oaks, a black walnut (never thought I could hate a tree) and tons of bamboo. Things are already falling and this little guy eats it all!

12K Gallon IG Lap Pool (c. 2001)
    6.6 ft x 48 ft/White Plaster/Concrete
    Pentair Superflo VS Pump 2.0 HP/Sand Filter
    Dolphin S300i Robot/SolarBreeze Robot
    TFT-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Is there a way to deal with the acorns while keeping a robot, or should we look into another kind of cleaner altogether?
    Look into a leaf net. Robots simply don't do well picking up large items and acorns will easily jam in many robots.

Use your robots to clean dirt from your pool.....use your leaf net to remove large items that will give the robot trouble.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the tips. Just so I'm sure what we're talking about... What is a leaf net? Is it a mesh cover for the pool that catches leaves, or something on a long pole for scooping? To which were you referring, Dave?
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Good point. Should've been more clearleaf net. jpg.jpg
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

That is the one I have, and would be in a pinch without it. Filled mine nearly brim full twice this morning with a freak storm last night. Got mine on Amazon.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

My bot has no issue picking them up as long as the fit thru the slots- that being said the Net is the way to go
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for clarifying. That does seem like the way to go.