Pool Math Question

Jul 30, 2015
Hurricane/Utah
I am a new gunite pool owner and was looking through the pool math chart. My pool builder has me using sodium hypochlorite 10% for chlorine. I don't see that chemical on the chart for choices. Any ideas on what I use on the calculator? Any help is appreciated. My test kit is basic, of only chlorine and PH, but I am getting a better kit to use to test the other items such as CH, TA etc.

Welcome to TFP!

Well, I can assume he has you using a liquid - Sodium hypochlorite is the fancy scientific name for chlorine/bleach. The stuff you use for you washing machine "bleach" comes in multiple concentrations, but generally you can find it on the label, like 6% or 8.5%.

It's stronger cousin is called chlorinating liquid and generally comes in higher % such as 10% or 12.5%. It may be labeled as pool shock, shock, liquid shock or something like that. Many time this is sold in reusable containers called carboys. As there is no label, you need to ask what the strength is.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, three of us were,typing an answer at the same time!

Yep! Generic is fine as well. Just make sure it's regular. No scents, no splash-less stuff. Good-ole common household bleach. :) Also watch the Julian date on the container. Some stores try to sell old stuff that may be losing its strength.

Does it matter that I started off with 10% and then if I want I can buy just standard household bleach, just know the % of the product?

thanks
Yep. Many people do the math and figure out the cost per percent-ounce and buy whatever's cheapest. Sometimes it works out that the 12.5% from the pool store is the best bang for the buck, sometimes it's a sale at the grocery store.

A tip: if they're ashamed to post the strength, you don't want it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
bleach at any supermarket, Walmart, costco, etc..
Muriatic at Home Depot, Lowes in the paint department. Ace Harware stores and others I cant remember the name of .

Muriatic Acid comes in 2 strenghts. 31.45 and about 14.5 ish. The low strength stuff is also called "green" because of the low strength and usually cost just as much or more than the strong Muriatic Acid. Stay away from teh "green" stuff. Get the strong stuff, as that is the best bang for the buck.

Is there a reasonable place to buy bleach and muriatic acid that you know of? Thanks for all the help. A great place to learn information.

- - - Updated - - -

FInally, a PB who recommends using the right stuff. Very rare anymore these days.

My pool builder has me using sodium hypochlorite 10% for chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.