Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Math Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Math Question

I am a new gunite pool owner and was looking through the pool math chart. My pool builder has me using sodium hypochlorite 10% for chlorine. I don't see that chemical on the chart for choices. Any ideas on what I use on the calculator? Any help is appreciated. My test kit is basic, of only chlorine and PH, but I am getting a better kit to use to test the other items such as CH, TA etc.
    Madgreen from southern Utah
    13,700 gal, IG Plaster, Pentair 1 1/2 HP pump, cartridge filter, SWG (waiting 1 month, new pool) 7-23-15 built, filled w/city water Test Kit-Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Math Question

Welcome!

Sodium Hypochlorite is bleach. Just plug 10% in for the strength instead of the default.

Someone else from Hurricane just joined a few weeks ago.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the FC row (yellow row) over to the right change the "6" to a "10" and you got it. It will say "10 trade"

Add of % bleach. Jug size 96 oz.
    16k AG Vinyl Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

Well, I can assume he has you using a liquid - Sodium hypochlorite is the fancy scientific name for chlorine/bleach. The stuff you use for you washing machine "bleach" comes in multiple concentrations, but generally you can find it on the label, like 6% or 8.5%.

It's stronger cousin is called chlorinating liquid and generally comes in higher % such as 10% or 12.5%. It may be labeled as pool shock, shock, liquid shock or something like that. Many time this is sold in reusable containers called carboys. As there is no label, you need to ask what the strength is.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, three of us were,typing an answer at the same time!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks so much for all the help

- - - Updated - - -

So one can use just standard household bleach? Just pay attention to the strength?
    13,700 gal, IG Plaster, Pentair 1 1/2 HP pump, cartridge filter, SWG (waiting 1 month, new pool) 7-23-15 built, filled w/city water Test Kit-Taylor K-2006

6. Back To Top    #6

Yep! Generic is fine as well. Just make sure it's regular. No scents, no splash-less stuff. Good-ole common household bleach. Also watch the Julian date on the container. Some stores try to sell old stuff that may be losing its strength.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Does it matter that I started off with 10% and then if I want I can buy just standard household bleach, just know the % of the product?

thanks

8. Back To Top    #8

Doesn't matter at all. Just make sure if you're using the Poolmath calculator to modify the % block so your numbers come-out right.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

9. Back To Top    #9

Any percentage is interchangeable at any time. They are all chemically the same, just different percentage.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by madgreen View Post
    Does it matter that I started off with 10% and then if I want I can buy just standard household bleach, just know the % of the product?

thanks
    Yep. Many people do the math and figure out the cost per percent-ounce and buy whatever's cheapest. Sometimes it works out that the 12.5% from the pool store is the best bang for the buck, sometimes it's a sale at the grocery store.

A tip: if they're ashamed to post the strength, you don't want it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

Is there a reasonable place to buy bleach and muriatic acid that you know of? Thanks for all the help. A great place to learn information.

12. Back To Top    #12

Many of us get generic bleach from places like Wal-Mart or the common grocery store. Muriatic acid can be found at the pool store, home improvement store, etc. Someone who is from Utah may have even more specific ideas.

13. Back To Top    #13

bleach at any supermarket, Walmart, costco, etc..
    Muriatic at Home Depot, Lowes in the paint department. Ace Harware stores and others I cant remember the name of .

Muriatic Acid comes in 2 strenghts. 31.45 and about 14.5 ish. The low strength stuff is also called "green" because of the low strength and usually cost just as much or more than the strong Muriatic Acid. Stay away from teh "green" stuff. Get the strong stuff, as that is the best bang for the buck.

Is there a reasonable place to buy bleach and muriatic acid that you know of? Thanks for all the help. A great place to learn information.
    - - - Updated - - -

FInally, a PB who recommends using the right stuff. Very rare anymore these days.

My pool builder has me using sodium hypochlorite 10% for chlorine.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!