Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt Level Decreasing, Aeration a Factor?

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt Level Decreasing, Aeration a Factor?

My salinity has decreased today by 200 ppm over the last ten hours, measured this morning and just a few minutes ago. On Friday it was 3,000 and now I'm down to 2,600.

I have been using muriatic acid over the last two days to lower my TA, and have been aerating all the while with the return jet breaking the surface to raise the pH. So I'm wondering if this is normal due to evaporation?

(I have my SWG off as I recently started a SLAM, ran out of R-0871, and am in a holding pattern of nightly bleach additions.)
    Intex 18' x 52" AG with Sand Filter Pump & SWG (Model ECO15110) about 7,600 gallons tested with a K-2006-SALT.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Salt Level Decreasing, Aeration a Factor?

Salt doesn't evaporate. The only two explanations are testing error (either human or something is messing with your test) or you are losing a LOT of water. Unless you have an autofill then something must be causing a testing error.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    or you are losing a LOT of water. Unless you have an autofill then something must be causing a testing error.
    No autofill, just a small Intex AG. And in my mind, losing water should not affect the ppm, just the volume in the pool, right? I haven't added any water in the last few days.

Except, now that I type that, I did add some yesterday, so, duh, pay no attention to this post!

Intex 18' x 52" AG with Sand Filter Pump & SWG (Model ECO15110) about 7,600 gallons tested with a K-2006-SALT.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by john.esher View Post
    My salinity has decreased today by 200 ppm over the last ten hours, measured this morning and just a few minutes ago. On Friday it was 3,000 and now I'm down to 2,600.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    The only two explanations are testing error (either human or something is messing with your test) or you are losing a LOT of water.
    Another possible explanation would be a salt level of ~2800 ppm and a salt test with an accuracy of 200 ppm (or worse) ?
    23,000 gallons IG gunite, pebble (I think)
    Hayward SP2610X15 1.5 HP Pump, Hayward sand filter
    Mineral Springs SWCG (it's actually Hayward/Goldline), Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15
    Polaris pool cleaner (with booster pump)
    TF-100, SpeedStir, K-1766 Taylor Salt Test, Lamotte Borate test strips

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by john.esher View Post
    ........... And in my mind, losing water should not affect the ppm, just the volume in the pool, right?
    Losing water due to evaporation will raise the ppm concentration until you add replacement water.

Losing water due to splashout/backwash/vacuum to waste will take salt with it. Replacing that water loss will dilute the salt, lowering the ppm concentration.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Salt stays behind during evaporation. Removed during splash out /backwash. My guess test error.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

How did you test? That is only one drop in the Taylor test. And most tests and SWG are only good to +/-400ppm anyway.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Into 10ml of water I put one drop of the yellow liquid (not in front of the bottles, so I don't know the numbers) and drop and swirl the other.

Turns to a milky cream color then boom, salmon colored with a lot of things floating.

Wasn't aware the +/- was so high.

9. Back To Top    #9

I believe most test kits are that accurate.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    How did you test? That is only one drop in the Taylor test. And most tests and SWG are only good to +/-400ppm anyway.
    ^ This
    Most salt tests are only accurate to +/- 400 as Jason said, and it could vary a little more.
    As long as the generator is happy and making chlorine, its fine.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

11. Back To Top    #11

If you use the Taylor K-1766 salt test, then using a 10 ml water sample it is +/- 200 ppm but if you use a 25 ml water sample it is +/- 80 ppm in terms of being +/- 1 drop in accuracy. However, overall the test is also limited by accuracy of the concentration of its reagents and your ability to measure volumes accurately and of drop size and all of these result in +/- 10% accuracy so at 3000 ppm that's +/- 300 ppm. For a given test kit, repeatability should be closer to the +/- 1 drop (if you do the test carefully), but absolute accuracy would be closer to the +/- 10%.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"