Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High sand filter pressure

1. Back To Top    #1

High sand filter pressure

Soooooo, the sand filter pressure has run around 18 for the last 6 years. I leave the pool open here, year round in Virginia so I can enjoy the beautiful water and not look at the cover!
    This year, the pressure was running around 22ish- not a huge cause for concern. However, I replaced the capacitor a few days ago, and now the pressure is running 28-30. Definitely cause for concern as I have gone from 18 to 28 as my new "normal" pressure.
    I have backwashed several times and today, I opened the filter and did the deep clean with the hose, with no improvement in the pressure reading. Still running around 28
    Gauge returns to zero when turned off and runs around 5 on recirculate. Pressure from the returns is strong on both filter and recirculate modes.
    I have researched this site and cannot find a fix for my issue. Of course, we are about to leave on vacation and I want to resolve this before we leave. Many thanks in advance for your assistance!
    18x36 inground Grecian vinyl approximately 24,000 gallons. Pentair sand filter and 3 hp Emerson pump (here when we bought the house 8 years ago). Poolvergneugen 4x, TF 100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High sand filter pressure

Maybe the gauge is bad
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

My clean pressure when up after changing some things on my equipment. It was suggested on here to look at changing out the returns for some one inch ones to lower my pressure.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

I did consider the gauge might be broken, but it does go to zero when the pump is off. My other thought is there might be a blockage somewhere, but I'm not sure how to go about checking/ fixing that.
    18x36 inground Grecian vinyl approximately 24,000 gallons. Pentair sand filter and 3 hp Emerson pump (here when we bought the house 8 years ago). Poolvergneugen 4x, TF 100.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Vapoolmom View Post
    Soooooo, the sand filter pressure has run around 18 for the last 6 years. I leave the pool open here, year round in Virginia so I can enjoy the beautiful water and not look at the cover!
    This year, the pressure was running around 22ish- not a huge cause for concern. However, I replaced the capacitor a few days ago, and now the pressure is running 28-30. Definitely cause for concern as I have gone from 18 to 28 as my new "normal" pressure.
    I have backwashed several times and today, I opened the filter and did the deep clean with the hose, with no improvement in the pressure reading. Still running around 28
    Gauge returns to zero when turned off and runs around 5 on recirculate. Pressure from the returns is strong on both filter and recirculate modes.
    I have researched this site and cannot find a fix for my issue. Of course, we are about to leave on vacation and I want to resolve this before we leave. Many thanks in advance for your assistance!
    What "capacitor" did you change? Did you change anything else?

Is this a two speed pump? 3HP (in your signature) is a lot of pump, maybe the pump was running at a lower speed before the capacitor change?

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi Dom, Yes, I agree that the pump is wayyyyyy big, but thankfully,it hasn't caused any trouble. It is a single speed. So, last week the pump wouldn't turn on and was tripping the breaker. So, I researched here and deduced that it was the capacitor. Sure enough, it was and fired right up. Coincidentally, the pressure rose to 28 and backwash and deep clean aren't making a difference. So, what now?..