Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to keep the algae out?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to keep the algae out?

We got our pool fixed with new liner and new water. Realized that the motor is bad when it was ready to start. Trying to get a new pump or getting this one fixed ( which is taking time). I let my kids jump in it just once as not very confident about adding chlorine in the pool without the pump running. How can I prevent the algae to build up. I try to brush it once a day and manually remove the leaves and other debris from the top with a net. Please advice any more things I can do to keep the pool clean.

thanks
    24k IG vinyl , new (not any more)pool, new ( not any more) water Hayward super pump and sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to keep the algae out?

Maintain adequate FC and mix it with a brush or swimmers. It may end up looking like a bathtub after three people have used it, but it will at least be sanitary and algae free.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Maintain adequate FC and mix it with a brush or swimmers. It may end up looking like a bathtub after three people have used it, but it will at least be sanitary and algae free.
    Thanks for the prompt reply..but I didn't understand when you say may look like a bathtub? Also is it ok to keep swimming in it?
    24k IG vinyl , new (not any more)pool, new ( not any more) water Hayward super pump and sand filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by gamerasian View Post
    Thanks for the prompt reply..but I didn't understand when you say may look like a bathtub? Also is it ok to keep swimming in it?
    You won't be filtering out anything. It will just be sitting there, like dirty bathwater. Assuming you can see the bottom, the pH is okay, and there's adequate FC for your CYA level, it's okay to swim. A couple swimmers will mix the water better than you ever will with a brush. No matter what, you have to keep the FC level up or your pool will turn green, filtering or not.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Got it!!! Thanks a bunch

6. Back To Top    #6

Kids=great pool mixers!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit