Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacement bulbs for pool light

1. Back To Top    #1

Santa Clarita, CA

Replacement bulbs for pool light

So I have a Jandy pool light, and the bulbs need to be replaced. The label says to replace with this bulb which is 65 bucks for 2, and you need 8, so a total of 260 dollars for 8.

I found these bulbs on Amazon and they seem to be the exact same thing, and it's 23 bucks for 10 of them.

Am I missing something? Is there a reason that Leslie's has them at 10 times the price? These are just standard MR16 halogen bulbs, right? Or are they? Can someone help?
    17.5K inground plaster pool/spa, Aquapure PLC 1400 SWG, Jandy stealth 1.0 hp pump, 1.5 hp booster pump, Jandy 60 sqft DE filter, 400,000 btu heater, Zodiac MX 8 cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: Replacement bulbs for pool light

Shocking isn't it - no pun intended. I use different bulbs, bus all I can say is that the pool store was 100% higher than Amazon.

In addition to the bulbs, do you need new gaskets? Read the owners manual and see what Jandy says.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

I know on my lights, anytime you open one you need to use a new gasket to reseal it..
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Austin, TX

I'm ignoring Leslie's markup for anything pool related. They want 4x the price for baking soda.

What I could not find are a few aspects of the Jandy bulbs. The amazon bulbs you found specify color temperature (2950K, a "soft white"), and specify a flood beam width of 36 degrees. The Jandy/Zodiac parts don't specify either of those, so while they are electrically and physically compatible, it's not clear if they are identical. I did find one website that has "60 degrees" in the part name, but nowhere else was beam angle mentioned.

Just to tease further, Amazon had a link to another site, 1000bulbs dot com, that has similar lamps for $0.84 each. 3000K, 36 degree beam width (flood), 2000 hours rating. Eight of those is $7.
    Here are 60 degree floods, 5000 hour rating, $2.58/ea:

If Jandy published more specs on these bulbs there would be an equal comparison.

If the Jandy bulbs are 60deg floods then those last 60deg floods might be worth a try, but I don't know.
    Brent / 24k gal / 16'x36' IG / Dura Glas II 1.25hp / 55 sqft DE filter / CircuPool Si-45 / TF-100 kit