Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Switching back to SWG from chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Sterling Heights, MI

Switching back to SWG from chlorine

Started season out opening up the pool with my SWG and sand filter. SWG stopped working (have had it 3 years so can't complain). I did order a new SWG but in the meantime, switched to using chlorine with only my sand filter as kids didn't want to not be able to swim while waiting for new SWG. Now I received my new SWG, question is: do I need to re-add the salt since I was using chlorine for the last couple of weeks? Don't want to screw system up but would really like to get back to using the SWG without having to constantly add chlorine. Thanks!
    AGP, Intex 18 x 52, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Switching back to SWG from chlorine

Welcome to TFP!!!

As with all chemistry changes we make/recommend, the first step is to test the water (salt level in this case) to find out what is needed to be added.

Although a full set of test results using one of the Recommended Test Kits would be advised to make sure nothing else is out of whack.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:

ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Water Balance for SWGs
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Switching back to SWG from chlorine

Salt doesn't go anywhere.
    Unless you've drained and re-filled the pool or replaced a very large amount of water, there is no need to drain the pool. You can confirm that with a test if you want but I can't imagine it's changed.

I went through the same thing, SWG failed and I ran on bleach for a month till I got my new one. Salt is still there, new SWG works perfectly.
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex SF60110 2450 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex CS8110 SWG
    Aquabot AJET121I Pool Rover S20-40