bfdl, introducing himself

bfdl

Jul 31, 2015
Springfield, Missouri
Hello there.

Recently discovered this forum while looking for instructions for a Wal-Mart test kit. I do not actually own a pool. I have been maintaining an in-ground pool for my neighbor who lives across the street. This is just about the most dismal way to maintain a pool, and it would take a book to explain the complex series of events which lead to this situation. My goal is to eventually build my own pool (I know, "don't DIY a pool", they san id the same thing about my home-maid missile silo, and it turned out great!) What got me here was curiosity about the BBB method. Just a day or two after I joi, ned, my computer was hit by some kind of mal-ware thing, so I am typing this on my wife's laptop. She is my end-all be-all, and ultimately, the beneficiary of my "all things pool related" efforts. While that sounds noble, it's not.

About me: I'm in my fifties and I live in Springfield, Missouri, the center of the known universe. Oddly, on a clear day you can see the middle of nowhere from here. I am retired, after working in the broadcast arts for decades. Televison: more fun to make than watch. I am married with two kids that can't be bothered to call their dad, but have jobs and their own living spaces, so, success! We have a cat and a dog to fill the nest because we're crazy like that. Anything else and you'll have to ask, with no guarantee of getting an answer. The right to remain silent. Arguably the most important right to exercise that almost everyone doesn't. Go figure.

Welcome to TFP! I just joined recently, and this forum has been a Godsend. In fact what saved my pool (and me from having a stroke) was the BBB method. It works, it's cheap, and it's way easier to read and control with the cheap test strips/kits. And you don't have to worry about Tri-chlor, Di-chlor, or Cal-Hypo screwing up your CYA and water hardness. I would suggest investing in a good test kit though, I'm going to order one myself here pretty soon. My pool went from a cloudy mess to crystal clear in 3 days using the BBB method.

Kim Asked how I came to be the guardian of my neighbor's pool. I live in an area where most of the homeowners are elderly. Let me put it this way, I am in my fifties, and they all consider me to be "that kid who lives up the street". The neighbors across the street were wanting to open their pool so their grandkids could swim, so I was recruited. I provide the care and help with the expense, and in exchange my wife can swim in their pool. My wife has skin like porcelain, which she maintains by staying out of the sun. She swims after sundown. This might seem crazy, but she's in her late 30's and looks like she's still in college. People often think I am her Dad. I don't stay out of the sun I look my age, which is okay--I've waited my whole life to be this old. Now if you will excuse me, I got to run some kids out of my yard, or something like that.

Welcome to TFP.

Uhmmmmm... I'm in my 30's and my hubby is in his late 50's. :mrgreen: He's pretty dang amazing! lol So, Your wife n I have that in common. I also have a grown son that is off foing his own thing and I wonder if he ever thinks of me so you n I have that in common. And I take care of our pool. Sooooooo... Hope you enjoy the site!