Well Water

I have a well that is balanced except for the iron in the water. When I add chlorine to the water it turns it to a brownish-green cloud. I went and bought Metal Magic and it worked. My question is can I add something other than chlorine so I don't have to keep using the expensive Metal Magic?

So how do I find a metal out liquid that is not $20 dollars a quart? Do you know what the checmial make up is of the metal out liquid? Can I use Iron Out instead of buying the brand name metal removers. The closest pool place to me is 40 miles away. To buy it online I have to pay shipping which raises the quart price to $24.

Have you tried to see if you can filter out the precipitated iron, rather than sequestering it? We also have well water with iron, and during the first week after filling the pool each year, the cartridge is rust-colored, and I rinse it out a couple of times per day. After that, no problem for the rest of the summer.

You'll also find a number of threads where people rig up extra filtration, with polyester batting, I think, to filter more effectively. Just search on the forum.

Thanks for all your responses. Not sure how to add filters like suggested. I sequestered the iron and the pool was doing well for a week or so. I had to add more chlorine and water and again had the problem. I then added the rest of my metal out and it was fine again. A few days later my husband added three small pucks and once again it's green. I've been told iron out is the same stuff so I liquified it and added 4 ounces but it didn't do anything. My Walmart is also 40 miles away and my local hardware store doesn't have it. I guess I'll order it online. I still wish I knew what the chemical was that the iron reacts to.

Chlorine oxidizes the iron suspended in the water so that it rusts and turns brown, thus the water turns brown. Sequestrants like Metal Magic keep protect the suspended iron to prevent rust, thus the water stays clear, however the chlorine also oxidizes the Metal Magic so that is depleted over time. If the sequestrant is not replenished regularly you run the risk of the iron oxidizing and turning the pool brown again, which you have seen. Filtering out the oxidized iron with pillow stuffing would work, but it is not a quick solution. It may be something to try in the off season if you want to see if it would work for you.

Iron Out does not contain the same ingredients as Metal Magic. If you want to know what the active ingredients in a product are just google the product name and add "msds" after (iron out msds). This will pull up any published material data safety sheets for the named product.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another question BHansen69,
Are you sure your pool contains only 4,500 gallons of water?
I have the same pool and I have 5300 gallons in it.
I have it filled to about an inch under the seam.
I then measured it and the depth was 42" putting it at 3.5 feet.
PoolMath then calculates my pool at 5300 gallons.

In order for your pool to have 4500 gallons the water lever would have to be only 3 feet deep.
That would put your water lever just above the outlet.
The return would be above the water level almost completely uncovered.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.