Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Well Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Well Water

I have a well that is balanced except for the iron in the water. When I add chlorine to the water it turns it to a brownish-green cloud. I went and bought Metal Magic and it worked. My question is can I add something other than chlorine so I don't have to keep using the expensive Metal Magic?
    I have a 15 x 48 inch above ground vinyl Coleman pool with about 5300 gallons of water that has an Intex Model 20110 SWG system. My water source is well water, which contains a high level of iron.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Well Water

Nope. You need chlorine to keep the pool sanitary and algae free.

Post up a full set of test results.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Nope, again, I'm afraid.

Unless you have a whole house water softener, you are sentenced to a life of metal sequestrant.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

So how do I find a metal out liquid that is not $20 dollars a quart? Do you know what the checmial make up is of the metal out liquid? Can I use Iron Out instead of buying the brand name metal removers. The closest pool place to me is 40 miles away. To buy it online I have to pay shipping which raises the quart price to $24.
    I have a 15 x 48 inch above ground vinyl Coleman pool with about 5300 gallons of water that has an Intex Model 20110 SWG system. My water source is well water, which contains a high level of iron.

5. Back To Top    #5

If there's a wally world close by they sell stain and scale that has the ingredients recommended here. It's still pretty expensive, but better than a lot of places.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Walmart online has a pretty good price on Super Rust and Scale Remover 4 quarts - Walmart.com

http://www.backyardcitypools.com/Ima...cale-NY180.pdf

It contains the recommended ingredients .
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Have you tried to see if you can filter out the precipitated iron, rather than sequestering it? We also have well water with iron, and during the first week after filling the pool each year, the cartridge is rust-colored, and I rinse it out a couple of times per day. After that, no problem for the rest of the summer.

You'll also find a number of threads where people rig up extra filtration, with polyester batting, I think, to filter more effectively. Just search on the forum.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for all your responses. Not sure how to add filters like suggested. I sequestered the iron and the pool was doing well for a week or so. I had to add more chlorine and water and again had the problem. I then added the rest of my metal out and it was fine again. A few days later my husband added three small pucks and once again it's green. I've been told iron out is the same stuff so I liquified it and added 4 ounces but it didn't do anything. My Walmart is also 40 miles away and my local hardware store doesn't have it. I guess I'll order it online. I still wish I knew what the chemical was that the iron reacts to.

9. Back To Top    #9

Iron removal goes like this: Add chlorine. Watch the pool get worse looking. Filter the Iron out with paper towels or pillow stuffing.
    Look at the pictures and see how simple it is. Doesn't mean fast, but it is simple.

Just got Taylor-2006 Test Kit. Want to verify what I should add.

A Tale of Two Filters... and Ugly, Rusty Water.

If the stuff gets really bad, you can even vacuum the rust particles up and then backwash them away.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Chlorine oxidizes the iron suspended in the water so that it rusts and turns brown, thus the water turns brown. Sequestrants like Metal Magic keep protect the suspended iron to prevent rust, thus the water stays clear, however the chlorine also oxidizes the Metal Magic so that is depleted over time. If the sequestrant is not replenished regularly you run the risk of the iron oxidizing and turning the pool brown again, which you have seen. Filtering out the oxidized iron with pillow stuffing would work, but it is not a quick solution. It may be something to try in the off season if you want to see if it would work for you.

Iron Out does not contain the same ingredients as Metal Magic. If you want to know what the active ingredients in a product are just google the product name and add "msds" after (iron out msds). This will pull up any published material data safety sheets for the named product.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

BHansen69,
    Have you looked at using a pre-filter when you fill the pool with well water?
    Here are a few. They are meant to remove metals such as iron before the water goes into the pool.

EcoOne Carbon Pre-Filter (by Pacific Sands) Decontaminates 40,000 Gallons of Water

METALTRAP10 Pool and Spa Water Pre-Filter - PoolSupplies.com

Amazon.com : Pre Fresh Garden Hose End Water Filter all purpose, pool, spa, hot tub, pets, car wash : Garden Hose Parts : Patio, Lawn Garden
    Coleman 5300 gal 16'x48" AGP
    Intex Krystal Clear 2800gph Sand Filter Pump 28647EG (56673EG)
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System ECO 8110
    Taylor K-2006 & K-1766 test kits w/ Speedstir and Samplesizer

12. Back To Top    #12

Another question BHansen69,
    Are you sure your pool contains only 4,500 gallons of water?
    I have the same pool and I have 5300 gallons in it.
    I have it filled to about an inch under the seam.
    I then measured it and the depth was 42" putting it at 3.5 feet.
    PoolMath then calculates my pool at 5300 gallons.

In order for your pool to have 4500 gallons the water lever would have to be only 3 feet deep.
    That would put your water lever just above the outlet.
    The return would be above the water level almost completely uncovered.
    Coleman 5300 gal 16'x48" AGP
    Intex Krystal Clear 2800gph Sand Filter Pump 28647EG (56673EG)
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System ECO 8110
    Taylor K-2006 & K-1766 test kits w/ Speedstir and Samplesizer

13. Back To Top    #13

You were correct I miscalculated my water. It is a 5300 gallon pool. I too keep it about an inch below the seam. Last year I switched to a salt/sand system and my water cleared right up.