First time pool owner

Ruth that is a good call! OUCH!

I am sure we can walk you through doing just about anything. It might take some reasking to make sure you understand what we mean and we understand what you are doing.

Ruth for the pump run time.....How is your FC at the end of the day when the sun is off the pool? THAT will tell us if the SWG is running long enough.

I THINK the SWG is working/running when the pump is on. I will let someone else tell me if we correct.

Kim

Kim,
ive tested FC both times in the late afternoon when the sun is no longer on the pool. The pool is in direct sun from about 8:30 am to 4 pm.

As as long as you guys don't mind me asking questions, I know I can get this figured out. One thing I've learned already....I'm spending the extra money on liquid conditioner next time. This dry stuff is ridiculous! I do not like having to wait for the stuff to dissolve. Booooo. I'm a low maintenance person, and this is nuts... Lol. Just personal preference I guess.

Ruth I hear ya! BUT for so many that come here for help they have just bought the house and spent the $$ goes with it so.........we do tend to lean towards the cheaper way.

Okay so I went back and read your thread. Your FC has been 1.5. That is not high enough. Here is the FC/CYA chart.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Oh on the CYA I put it in a tube sock and walked around my pool and squeezed it all out in a short time period. Hey TFP said to get ?? cya in so I got it in right then!

We will answer any and all questions you might have.

Do you have any idea how old your SWG is?

Kim

Ruth I hear ya! BUT for so many that come here for help they have just bought the house and spent the $$ goes with it so.........we do tend to lean towards the cheaper way.

Okay so I went back and read your thread. Your FC has been 1.5. That is not high enough. Here is the FC/CYA chart.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Oh on the CYA I put it in a tube sock and walked around my pool and squeezed it all out in a short time period. Hey TFP said to get ?? cya in so I got it in right then!

We will answer any and all questions you might have.

Do you have any idea how old your SWG is?

Kim

swg is only a few years old. The previous owners left all the manuals. Yay! I know it works, as in comes on. I've seen it on one time. It was set at 60%, but again, I don't know WHEN it's coming on or for how long.

Ruth maybe make a new post in the equipment part of TFP and see what you get there. Use your title to make sure they know what you are looking for.

I would LOVE to have a SWG but I have an above ground pool AND out last pool had rust on the bottom so we are leery of using salt. We have a pool that SHOULD be able to use it but........it is not worth the worry.

Kim

Set it at 100%....After dark test your FC....Wait two hours and test again, and see if the SWG is increasing your FC after the sun goes down. The cells may be dirty so even though it's powered up, it's not producing. Cells also have a finite lifetime to them.

New readings based upon a sample taken from the part of the pool that had been shaded for 3 hours:

ph 7.8
FC-2.0
CC-0
TC-2.0
CH-125
TA-150
CYA-40

looks like conditioner is starting to work.

i have not done anything different with equipment yet. I have another post in the SWG forum looking for help with that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There will be no testing today. I couldn't figure out why pump wasn't running properly. I got to reading on here and stumbled upon water levels. I am embarrassed to say that the water level was low! It was barely at the skimmer. YIKES! So.....water is being put in to get to the halfway point, and then I will test tomorrow after the pump has circulated all the water. Geez.....one step forward....two steps back. I WILL get the hang of this.

There will be no testing today. I couldn't figure out why pump wasn't running properly. I got to reading on here and stumbled upon water levels. I am embarrassed to say that the water level was low! It was barely at the skimmer. YIKES! So.....water is being put in to get to the halfway point, and then I will test tomorrow after the pump has circulated all the water. Geez.....one step forward....two steps back. I WILL get the hang of this.
Half an hour after you turn the pump back on tonight should be good enough. Brush while you're waiting. It'll be mixed well enough by then.

Ruth, have you checked to see if your pool has an autofill valve that was maybe shut off by the previous owner? It would likely be sitting under a plastic cover by the side of your pool. The plastic cover might be similar to the one over your skimmer

That makes Sense! Thank you. It looks like the MA worked to get the ph down. FC has come up, but TA seems high.
TA may be reading falsely high. You have a new test kit and static electricity buildup on the tip with a new bottle of R-009 is common. Just wipe it with a damp paper towel before each drop. If it is really and truly up around 150 then target 7.2 when you adjust pH. No need to go to any great effort to drive TA down. It will come down quick enough on its own that way. Your CH is low enough that you're in no danger of scaling.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.