Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorinator problems

1. Back To Top    #1

discovery Bay, Ca

Chlorinator problems

I have a new pool about 2 months old and I am still learning how things work or don't work.

The SWC seems to be having problems. I have a case open with Pentair and the rep came out to look at it and he said that everything was working the way it should.

The problem is that all the lights would be on and then the cell on light would go off and then a few minutes later come on again. No changes to anything were made and yesterdayday when we were using the pool this happened saveral times and I took some pictures.

Is this normal or do you think I have a problem.

Pentair said they would replace the cell if there was something wrong with it.

top pic Cell off bottom pic normal cell on

The cell off would stay off for a few minutes and the return to normal, run for a time and then go to cell off.

Is this normal or do I have a problem?
    20x32 in ground gunite with white plaster, 17,000 gal apx. kidney shape, and spa attached, solar, 6 panels 4x10, pentair equipment: pump intelliflo vs 8x160VS, cartridge filter 420sq, gas heater, master temp 400k but, easy touch system pool/spa 4sc-ic40/ with salt system, easytouch wireless controller 4 circuit and Rebel auto cleaner. Taylor K 2005-C completed June 2015.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Chlorinator problems

From the manual,

Cell: Shows the status of the IECG.
    • Green (flashing): The IECG needs to be inspected. The blades
    may have calcium buildup. The IECG is not producing chlorine.
    • Green: IECG is good and producing chlorine
    No Light: IECG is off and not producing chlorine. It may be in an
    off-period of the sanitizing cycle and will return on shortly. This
    light will also be blank if the water temperature is below
    52 F +/-3 F (11 C +/ 1.67 C). This cold water cutoff mode
    extends the blade life.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    Bedford, TX

As Pooldv pointed out, the Cell light is only on when the IC40 is making chlorine. When you adjust the output percentage all you are really doing is adjusting how long the cell is on vs. off. So, ballpark, if you have the output set to 50% the cell light would be on 50% of the time and off the other 50% of the time. Sounds to be like the cell light is working as it should.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP5200 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

You have it set to 80%. So if the cycle is 2 hours (I am not sure of the exact cycle length). Then the SWG would be generating for 96 minutes and then be off for 24 minutes before turning on again.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!