Down to these 2 bids in Austin--what do you think?

Jul 2, 2014
Austin, TX
I've posted a couple bids before, and you were all really helpful! I'm hoping you can help me out here, because I have two bids, and they are the result of a little haggling on my part. We got one from a PB that did a really really nice design that we love, and one that did an OK design that I think we can tweak a little. I made the 2nd guy give us a quote on similar equipment and specs.

Bid #1--from a company here in Austin that has so-so reviews, mostly about time management...
Freeform inground pool
Perimeter 80’
Max Width 30’
Max Length 15’
Area 368 sqft
Spa Dimensions 7’
Spa Height 18” raised
Pool Depth 3.5-5’

Hayward TriStar 1.85 HP VS pump
Hayward SwimClear 425 sqft Cartridge
Hayward H-Series 400kBTU heater
*Hayward SWG included in price but not sure which way we’ll go yet—salt or regular chlorine
Hayward E-Command w/6 function remote
Robotic Cleaner
3 Hayward 320 LED lights (2 pool, 1 spa)
2 pool main drains
2 spa main drains
4 returns
2 skimmers
$2000 gas line allowance
Standard 6” waterline tile
Flagstone coping
Concrete decking with 460 sqft SprayDeck to include existing patio and level with existing patio
standard pebble interior
30ft 1-1.5ft raised pool wall with scupper water feature on separate booster pump

Total $59860
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Bid #2 -- this company is a national company and has great reviews locally
Freeform inground pool
Perimeter 80’
Max Width 30’
Max Length 15’
Area 368 sqft
Spa Dimensions 7’
Spa perimeter 22'
Spa depth 3.5'
Spa height 18" raised
Pool Depth 3-5’
12271 gallons

Jandy 2 HP VS pump
Jandy 1HP booster pump for scupper and bubbler
Jandy 460 sqft Cartridge
RayPak 399k BTU heater
Blower 1.5 HP (what is this??)
Jandy FusionSoft included in price but not sure which way we’ll go yet—salt or regular chlorine
Jandy PDA-PS-6 w/6 function remote/Aqualink automation
Polaris 9450 Robot cleaner
3 Hayward Color logic LED lights (2 pool, 1 spa)
2 pool main drains
3 returns
1 skimmer--*said combination of pool size and have robot cleaner means only one necessary
gas line allowance (not specified $ amount)
Standard 6” waterline tile
Flagstone coping
Concrete decking with 460 sqft Kool Kote to include existing patio and level with existing patio
standard pebble interior
30 ft raised wall with 7 ft of 1.5ft wall with 24" scupper water feature on separate booster pump
1 bubbler

Total $61950

So the main differences I see is that #1 is cheaper, a Hayward heater and equipment, 2 skimmers. #2 is more expensive, has mostly Jandy stuff, and 1 skimmer. #1 took more time with the design and we liked it better, and really the ONLY thing making me think twice is that their reviews aren't as *glowing* as the other, but that could be because they seek out the positive reviews? It seems that way.
Here's a photo. Bid 1 on top and Bid 2 on bottom...Bid 2 hadn't added the spa or longer wall in this rendering, but pretty sure it will look very close to #1.

- - - Updated - - -

OH and there is a fire pit in both photos but we're not doing that right now...

Also the lighting. They're both Hayward, but one is using Hayward Color Logic LED and one specifically says the 320 LED, which are a little smaller? And #1 is accounting for a SWG upgrade, while #2 is not, but I'm not sure what the extra charge would be. At the first meeting they told us $1500 but I'm not sure....

Just as a note, if the review issues on PB 1 are mostly with time management as you mention, that would just make it a normal pool build. Not anything especially bad, just a little frustrating. A lot of times it comes down to a gut feel issue. I don't see anything out of line with either bid. How about plumbing setups, pipe size/run layout, etc.

Hi,

We went through a similar process. Make sure to use one bid against the other to get a good price from your preferred pool builder. Don't settle on a PB just because one is a little bit cheaper. Do your best to get your preferred builder in the right price range to make it worth it. IMO you don't want to regret trying to save a little money when you are into a 5 month pool build and dealing with problems over and over not to mention what happens once the build is over? Make sure to speak to other people about the PB's you are considering. We have spoken to many about the two companies you are considering and the comments we received echo'd that of the Yelp reviews...

Also, make sure you go to the PB's Yelp page and go all the way to the bottom and click on the text that reads like the following:
XXX other reviews that are not currently recommended
Then click continue reading other reviews.

UGHHHHH SO SAD! We have decided to postpone the build until the spring. We are paying off bills and hope to become debt free (besides the house!) and in a better position to get everything we want out of a pool.

What are your experiences with this? Are you more likely to get a better deal in late summer? fall? Winter? I know the proposals will expire that I have...

OK I'm going cry in a corner now....

Since you need to postpone (agree with your reasons!), why not look at doing an owner-build? I had a bid and design done also and postponed a year so I could pay cash and . I started mine in at the end of October and stretched out the build at my own pace and finished at the end of Feb. I was able to get better bids being the "off-season" and never felt rushed since I couldn't swim yet anyway. I built a similar sized pool for less than 30K (though from what I've seen your TX prices will be be higher either way). Good luck and keep the dream alive!

UGHHHHH SO SAD! We have decided to postpone the build until the spring. We are paying off bills and hope to become debt free (besides the house!) and in a better position to get everything we want out of a pool.

What are your experiences with this? Are you more likely to get a better deal in late summer? fall? Winter? I know the proposals will expire that I have...

OK I'm going cry in a corner now....

Hey I had to do the exact same thing! We purchased our house in order to build a pool because our old house really couldn't support a pool so we sold and purchased our new place. Well right after we bought the house our van that was a couple months from being paid off was totaled. We looked and looked for a decent used Honda Odyssey and couldn't find any anywhere. So we ended up buying a new one. We figured we would have to put off the pool for a few years. We really watched what we spent and then the interest rates dropped about a year after the van was totaled and we were able to keep our mortgage payment about the same and roll the pool cost into our mortgage.

It is ok to wait if it makes sense. I don't think the season will really affect the cost of your pool in Austin. The pool business is so nuts here right now I think they'll just raise their prices until something gives. Just buy when you can afford to and don't really worry about the season. We signed at the beginning of the season and I don't think it helped us much price wise. I do know in 4 years or so the pool costs have gone up at least 20 to 30% here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.