Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stabilizer question?

1. Back To Top    #1

Stabilizer question?

I needed to raise my CYA last week. I went to Walmart and bought the hth brand stabilizer & conditioner. I have read other posts that says make sure the stabilizer is 99% cyanuric acid. What I bought is only 96% with 4% inert ingredients. My question is what brand should I buy that has the 99% cyanuric acid and what stores should I be looking in or is what I bought okay to use?

It has raised my CYA but not as much as it should have by the poolmath chart.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stabilizer question?

The Wal-Mart (HTH brand) should be fine. But some people go to the local home improvement store's pool section too. You can also go the pool store and just grab stabilizer and run as fast as you can.

- - - Updated - - -

PS- I had that same problem with Wa-Mart's brand this year. Had to try and raise CYA twice.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have used BioGuard brand stabilizer that I purchased at Patio Pools. It is 99% CYA and it has worked fine. It is rather strange that HTH brand has seemed to cause a lot of problems for folks lately. It's hard to believe that a "bad batch" made its way through quality control and out onto the market to affect so many people. I guess it's possible but it seems strange that HTH has not recalled affected batches.

An alternative method is to use trichlor pucks if you have any.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the responses. I did use some pucks with the stabilizer I added because the FC loss was a little too much I thought and we have had 90 degree weather all week. I will look for the BioGuard brand next time I am at the larger town to shop. Our small town only has a Walmart! Appreciate the advise. Thanks Again!