Green after vacuuming

Aug 2, 2015
Fairland/Indiana
Hello. We had our pool water tested 2 days ago. Water levels were perfect and the water was almost clear except for the brownish stuff at the bottom. We purchased a robotic vacuum and ran it yesterday. It immidiately started turning the water dark green. So we dumped an entire bottle of algeacide in the water (the correct dose for our size pool). Today our water is even greener. The only thing our vacuum removed was a green slime. I don't know what to do know and the pool stores are closed today.

We have an above ground 30ft pool with a sand filter and robotic vacuum. Approximately 21,000 gallons.

Welcome to TFP!

That the pool stores are closed is a good thing, they will just sell you magic potions that won't solve your problem long term.

Our advice is going to start with taking control of your pool and testing yourself, not relying on someone else and what they think the levels should be. It should be obvious that the "levels are perfect" is not correct, because it appears you have an algae bloom.

First your need a test kit. We base our pool care methods on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need a FAS-DPD test kit based on Taylor chemicals. I would recommend the TF100 fro TFTestkits.net as it is the most economical. You will want the XL option as you will be going through a lot of testing clearing up your pool.

Once you have a test kit you will need to do what we call a SLAM. This is different from what pool stores teach (shocking your pool) as it is a process by which you raise the pool to shock level and keep it there until it is proven via testing that ALL of the algae is dead.

We will need to know all the details of your pool, what you normally chlorinate with a d a list of any other chemicals you have added to the pool in the past few months.

If you want it clear, we can help you.

I don't know the specific names of the chemicals because I have thrown out the bottles. I will order a testing kit today. We have shocked the pool numerous times this year with liquid closing that you buy at department stores. We have also added algeacide that you buy at department stores a couple times. Recently ( a week ago) we had our water tested because it was cloudy. The pool store told us our water had too much closing and had us put in muratic acid. Then we had it checked again because it was still a little off. That is when they told us it was perfect. They then sold me their algecide (way more expensive) and a product that was to remove the hard water from our pool. Our steps looked yellowish instead of white. Then our water looked somewhat better and clearish so we put our robotic vacuum in and it turned green... really green within an hour. So I put the expensive algeacide they sold us in. Now that is where I'm at. Sorry I don't have more information. I am semi new to this. I am ready to take control of my own pool!

- - - Updated - - -

Closing =clorine ... dang autocorrect!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm debating if I should shock my pool since the chlorine level was normal 2 days ago. I'm assuming from what I have been learning is that I need to raise the chlorine levels above normal to kill the algea...

Glad you want to take control. Many times pool store recommendations are based on sales rather than what is good for the pool.

Start reading in Pool School (link above) to understand out methods.

Start with this: Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Then begin reading other articles like recomded pool chemicals.

It will probably seem confusing so feel free to come back to this thread and ask questions. Our members, guides, experts and moderators are around all the time to answer questions.

While you wait for your test kit locate a source for liquid chlorine. Many here use plain plain laundry bleach, but higher % chlorinating liquid is many times less expensive. No solid forms of chlorine at this point. Hold off on "shocking" the pool. I hate to say it, but your pool is green so a few days isn't going to make much of a difference, but if you must do something to feel like you are working on it add one gallon plain inscented bleach to the pool each day while the pump is running.

First, welcome to TFP! Glad you found us because it sounds like the pool store was starting to really take advantage of you...
The pool store told us our water had too much closing and had us put in muratic acid. Then we had it checked again because it was still a little off. That is when they told us it was perfect. They then sold me their algecide (way more expensive) and a product that was to remove the hard water from our pool.
Cloudy water from "too much chlorine"? Almost no chance of that happening. Cloudy water is almost always from having an active chlorine level too low to kill algae faster than it grows. However, active chlorine is dependent on your CYA level, something that almost the entire industry is either unaware of or ignores. So you go in again and they tell you everything is perfect, yet still sell you an algaecide and something for your hard water (any idea what it was?). That is because they play by a single rule: sell sell sell. I have spoken with a couple former employees of different pool stores, unfortunately they all confirm that mentality.

Read that article Tim linked to, it is a good start. Right now you best option is to wait for the test kit to arrive and do some reading and start to get an idea what you will be doing once your kit gets there. I know it is a terrible feeling not to be "doing something", but anything you do now you would be doing blind and could cause more trouble. You are already on the right track and we have your back while you do it!

Welcome to TFP! I'm glad you found us before the pool store took you any further down their crazy path.

Everyone's got you covered here so far so I'm just here for encouragement.

Just wait until you see how easy it is once you have a proper way to test your water! When you see that TFP sparkle you'll know your days of "almost clear" are over. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.