Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What no one told me about slamming

1. Back To Top    #1

What no one told me about slamming

Started slamming my pool last Friday evening, and this morning - day eight - I had a 0 OCLT and a 0 CC. So, no one told me before I started that a sparkling clear pool would allow me to see every speck on the bottom of the pool...lol...and after taking it from cloudy and kind of green water to what it is today, I feel like I should quit my job and focus on vacuuming and testing every hour to keep it pristine. All kidding aside, thanks to all for the assistance and guidance you provided me - and the forum every day. In the couple weeks since joining I have learned more about my pool than in have in the previous three years. If any new readers are wondering if the TFP method works, here's the skinny...it does. Thanks again, and I'll see you around the forums.
    10,000 Gallon Pebble Tec
    Hayward Star-Clear Plus C900 cartridge filter
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump
    Pool is filled from city water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What no one told me about slamming

Wayne, so glad you can see clearly now
    Cheers to a trouble-free summer!
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Very nice post, Wade C. Unfortunately, you have contracted a pool geek disease called Sparklypoolitis.

It is incurable. Symptoms are excess vacuuming, gazing at your beautiful pool, and babbling to others about TFP as they look at you with blank expressions.

There is a large support group here at TFP as many of us have contracted it as well. I've had it about nine years. Carry on, my friend.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

You have an illness, and the only prescription............. is more cowbell. Enjoy Wade!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Chrisman, Illinois (East Central Illinois)

More cowbell, lol
    27' round Seaspray Evolution, AG, 17,100 gallons, Pump: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Dual Speed 1.5 hp, Filter: Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter, June 18, 2014, Kreepy Krauley Lil Shark, TF-100 test kit, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System

6. Back To Top    #6

An even worse side effect is that you will hate swimming in all non-TFPC pools from now on. And it will get worse each year until you buy a Tab and never get out of your own pool or go anywhere else. Uh wait, oops, TMI!!!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

I just put my pool in this year, I am so happy I found this forum!!! This forum influenced many decisions I made during the pool build and now it is helping me greatly maintaining the pool.

Great Forum with Great Folks!!!!

Become a Lifetime Member, its the least you can do to pay them back and you get a discount on the TF-100 test kit!!!!
    24X44 IG Vinyl Custom Shaped Pool, Starite S7M400 Cartridge Filter, Starite Sumpermax VS Pump, built July 2015, TF-100 Test Kit, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG, NG Starite SR400 Heater, Easytouch with Screen Logic, Magicstream Laminars, Bullfrog A7 Spa

8. Back To Top    #8

So glad to hear (read!) this Wade

You can't help but be amazed how easy it truly can be...and regret all the time, money and energy wasted doing it before with the pool store way.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

9. Back To Top    #9

We are at a very nice resort right now and both the pools are cloudy. The main pool was sitting for 48 hours with no water circulation at all. Pumps simply weren't running and debris was collecting on the surface around the edges and in the corners. The pumps are back on now but the water is disgusting. Seems like I'm the only one who noticed though. No one else complained and the staff certainly weren't concerned when I pointed it out. The "pool guy" was off for a couple of days and I was told he would look at it when he returned. Unbelievable. Even now, you can hardly see the bottom and it's only 5 feet deep.

Had I not contracted SparklyPoolitis by joining this forum, I too would have been unconcerned. Beware.

I should have recommended more cowbell.
    Lagoon 40x22, Vinyl, 27,000 gal, 1HP WhisperFlo Pump, Pentair 60 gpm Sand filter, Hayward Brominator (used for chlorine pucks only when away), Rheem gas heater, Dolphin M4 Robot
    Waterfall on separate dedicated pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyR View Post
    We are at a very nice resort right now and both the pools are cloudy. The main pool was sitting for 48 hours with no water circulation at all. Pumps simply weren't running and debris was collecting on the surface around the edges and in the corners. The pumps are back on now but the water is disgusting. Seems like I'm the only one who noticed though. No one else complained and the staff certainly weren't concerned when I pointed it out. The "pool guy" was off for a couple of days and I was told he would look at it when he returned. Unbelievable. Even now, you can hardly see the bottom and it's only 5 feet deep.

Had I not contracted SparklyPoolitis by joining this forum, I too would have been unconcerned. Beware.

I should have recommended more cowbell.
    A resort should be more concerned for safety reasons. Not being able to see the bottom is very dangerous and I would keep my distance from that pool.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

11. Back To Top    #11

I can't believe that the folks that do pool care the traditional way; when I tell them about the TFP way; think it's too hard! They think 5 minutes a day pouring in bleach is too much trouble for a pristine pool. It just seems like a backwards way of thinking. The only thing harder about this method is SLAM, versus shock and forget, but the problem with the latter is that it's just a temporary patch, or sometimes doesn't work at all. But they think I'm doing it the hard way. Go figure!
    7600 gallon; 18'X54" round; vinyl; sand filter and 110V pump, 2-speed.
    Near Cookeville, TN--1/2-way between Nashville--Knoxville along I-40; Highland Rim part of the Appalachian Plateau (we call the Cumberland Plateau for the southern half of this geological region).