No cutoff valves to pump

I have an above ground swimming pool, I need to work on the pump but I have no shutoff valve on the hose that is connected to the skimmer, what's the best way to keep the water from going into the hose so I can remove the pump, besides draining it of course. Also correct me if I'm wrong, on the filter side of the pump I believe to keep water from coming from the sand filter I just need the valve setting to closed

Hello and welcome to TFP. To ensure we give you an accurate reply, can you tell us what type of pump/skimmer set-up you have? (i.e., Intex AG pool, Intex pump, in-wall or over-hanging skimmer, model/make of filter etc). Anything to help give us a picture of what you are dealing with. Thanks.

If you have the standard hard sided above ground pool with 1 1/2" hoses you can buy a couple of 1 1/2" threaded plugs. Turn off the pump, unscrew the return eye and screw in a plug, then on the skimmer you remove the basket and screw in the other plug. If you don't have threaded openings you can use 1 1/2" expanding plugs from the hardware store. Threaded plugs are available at pool or hardware stores.

Yes, you can also use the closed or winterized setting on the multiport valve to stop water flowing back through the return.

When you pull off the hose from the pump put it over the rail back in the pool and secure it some how. Change the pump setting as indicated above. I also forgot to note to put your vacumm plate in with the hose out of the water to slow the water coming out of the pump hose when disconnected.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.