Cheaper alternative for an Ice bin

Has any one considered using an actual cooler for a Bar top drop in? Something like the picture below, which you can get from Amazon for about $150 (supposedly made out of SS) Minus handles, legs and opener.

Actual drop in ice bins are probably 3-4x more expensive and about half the size.

I can see framing around it and having your countertop (eg. Granite) cut out around the top, maybe add some SS trim for looks (and to hide any silicone/sealant needed so as to prevent water to enter through the gaps between cooler and countertop)

They also usually have threaded drains so coupling to a pipe can easily be done too.

Completely crazy idea?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 429
Couldn't you just use a stainless steel sink and insulate it with aerosol styrofoam, or enclose it with extruded foam sheets and fill the gaps with the aerosol foam? Plumbing the drain would be a snap and scrubbing it out would be easy.

Ice chests tend to get stinky after a while, and I've tossed more than a few that ended up somehow swelling and deforming internally.

Couldn't you just use a stainless steel sink and insulate it with aerosol styrofoam, or enclose it with extruded foam sheets and fill the gaps with the aerosol foam? Plumbing the drain would be a snap and scrubbing it out would be easy.

Ice chests tend to get stinky after a while, and I've tossed more than a few that ended up somehow swelling and deforming internally.

Great idea.

I seriously considered using this sink - 32 Inch Undermount Deep Single Bowl with some extra insulation and a homemade HDPE lid as a drop in cooler. In the end I realized I didn't have the counterspace available, but I wound up using it for my sink anyway.

I figure if I ever need to I can dump a bunch of ice in there, and if I wind up doing that a lot I'll insulate underneath (although it is already rubber coated).

Honestly, so much of the stuff that's sold specifically for BBQ islands is ridiculously overpriced. $700 for a 15" sink? Really??? You're much better off doing something creative and saving yourself some $$.

While not quite the same, I took a regular ol plastic Coleman cooler, removed the handles and hinges, and built a weathered wood (old cedar fence comes in handy) enclosure and hinged top around it. It sits on the pool deck. It works great. Using the one you want in a countertop would be even easier, because you lid would be left exposed. I had to finegale the hinge points on mine to make sure it opened and closed corectly.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.