Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cheaper alternative for an Ice bin

1. Back To Top    #1

Cheaper alternative for an Ice bin

Has any one considered using an actual cooler for a Bar top drop in? Something like the picture below, which you can get from Amazon for about $150 (supposedly made out of SS) Minus handles, legs and opener.

Actual drop in ice bins are probably 3-4x more expensive and about half the size.

I can see framing around it and having your countertop (eg. Granite) cut out around the top, maybe add some SS trim for looks (and to hide any silicone/sealant needed so as to prevent water to enter through the gaps between cooler and countertop)

They also usually have threaded drains so coupling to a pipe can easily be done too.

Completely crazy idea?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In construction (well, it is really permitted and we are waiting on PB to start digging, long story): 86 LF free form gunite, sundeck bubbler, jets on swimout. Hayward automation, pump (2-speed) and 40K gallon SWS
    In design: 20' ODK not idea what is going to look like yet

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cheaper alternative for an Ice bin

Sounds like a good plan to me.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Couldn't you just use a stainless steel sink and insulate it with aerosol styrofoam, or enclose it with extruded foam sheets and fill the gaps with the aerosol foam? Plumbing the drain would be a snap and scrubbing it out would be easy.

Ice chests tend to get stinky after a while, and I've tossed more than a few that ended up somehow swelling and deforming internally.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Richard that's a good alternative my wife suggested it as well, I think the issue would be available volume because of depth limitations (too shallow) and because of the curved bottom.

Having said that, the stink issue could be a real problem.

In construction (well, it is really permitted and we are waiting on PB to start digging, long story): 86 LF free form gunite, sundeck bubbler, jets on swimout. Hayward automation, pump (2-speed) and 40K gallon SWS
    In design: 20' ODK not idea what is going to look like yet

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Couldn't you just use a stainless steel sink and insulate it with aerosol styrofoam, or enclose it with extruded foam sheets and fill the gaps with the aerosol foam? Plumbing the drain would be a snap and scrubbing it out would be easy.

Ice chests tend to get stinky after a while, and I've tossed more than a few that ended up somehow swelling and deforming internally.
    Great idea.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

6. Back To Top    #6

I seriously considered using this sink - 32 Inch Undermount Deep Single Bowl with some extra insulation and a homemade HDPE lid as a drop in cooler. In the end I realized I didn't have the counterspace available, but I wound up using it for my sink anyway.

I figure if I ever need to I can dump a bunch of ice in there, and if I wind up doing that a lot I'll insulate underneath (although it is already rubber coated).

Honestly, so much of the stuff that's sold specifically for BBQ islands is ridiculously overpriced. $700 for a 15" sink? Really??? You're much better off doing something creative and saving yourself some $$.
    Darren
    ~20K gallon freeform w/attached spa
    Pentair 4x160 pump
    Pentair Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Intellitouch i7+3 controller
    Intellichlor IC40

7. Back To Top    #7

While not quite the same, I took a regular ol plastic Coleman cooler, removed the handles and hinges, and built a weathered wood (old cedar fence comes in handy) enclosure and hinged top around it. It sits on the pool deck. It works great. Using the one you want in a countertop would be even easier, because you lid would be left exposed. I had to finegale the hinge points on mine to make sure it opened and closed corectly.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo