Silicone grease for PVC threads?

Jul 24, 2015
Fort Worth, TX
Is Danco Silicone Grease (Lowes Item #: 53861 | Model #: 88693) an acceptable lubricant for PVC pipe threads? Or do I need some kind of sealant? My grip isn't as strong as my hubby's, so I need something that will make it easier for me to maintain threaded pieces of our hard plumbing project while maintaining a leak free connection.

Grease isn't meant to be used on threads. You should use pipe sealant paste compatible with plastic pipes. It doesn't get hard so that it prevents you from disassembling the joint, but it seals better than the grease would.

Grease isn't meant to be used on threads. You should use pipe sealant paste compatible with plastic pipes. It doesn't get hard so that it prevents you from disassembling the joint, but it seals better than the grease would.

+1

Be careful which sealant is used as Bama described. If you use some used for metal pipe threads it may expand causing the PVC to break in the future. Also, lubricant in plastic threads is a very bad idea, as it will allow for the tapered threads to insert too deeply, again potentially causing pipes to break.
Most mfg. advise using Teflon tape on their fittings.

I've always had great success with "LeakLock" brand blue thread sealant.
http://www.highsidechem.com/pdfs/leaklock.pdf

I would NOT use- "Tru-Blue", or any other pipe dope.
Again, the only brand I've used without issues is "LeakLock".
Others may be similar, but not the same.

+1

Be careful which sealant is used as Bama described. If you use some used for metal pipe threads it may expand causing the PVC to break in the future. Also, lubricant in plastic threads is a very bad idea, as it will allow for the tapered threads to insert too deeply, again potentially causing pipes to break.
Most mfg. advise using Teflon tape on their fittings.

I've always had great success with "LeakLock" brand blue thread sealant.
http://www.highsidechem.com/pdfs/leaklock.pdf

I would NOT use- "Tru-Blue", or any other pipe dope.
Again, the only brand I've used without issues is "LeakLock".
Others may be similar, but not the same.

I had read some posts about what not to use on the threads (tape) and what to use (silicone or Teflon) but wasn't sure in what form, as in sealant, lube, grease, spray, etc. once applied, can threaded pieces be taken apart or is this a permanent sealant? Do threads need to be lubricated at all if there is a chance of potential cracking, etc?

Last edited:
Personally I have had much better luck with teflon tape than with the various pastes, and I am aware of the tape causing the pipe to be distorted argument against it. I do prefer to use the better thicker grades of teflon tape though, not the ultra cheap white stuff.

p.s. my preferred brand is blue monster sealing tape

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.