Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Silicone grease for PVC threads?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Silicone grease for PVC threads?

Is Danco Silicone Grease (Lowes Item #: 53861 | Model #: 88693) an acceptable lubricant for PVC pipe threads? Or do I need some kind of sealant? My grip isn't as strong as my hubby's, so I need something that will make it easier for me to maintain threaded pieces of our hard plumbing project while maintaining a leak free connection.
    Intex Rectangular AG Ultra Frame Pool Set, 24' x 12' x 52" (8403 gal, well water)
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System model number: 28663EG/54601EG
    Intex sand filter pump, 120V 1,600gph with GFCI
    Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Silicone grease for PVC threads?

Grease isn't meant to be used on threads. You should use pipe sealant paste compatible with plastic pipes. It doesn't get hard so that it prevents you from disassembling the joint, but it seals better than the grease would.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Learn something new every day here on TFP! thanks Bama Rambler
    Intex Rectangular AG Ultra Frame Pool Set, 24' x 12' x 52" (8403 gal, well water)

4. Back To Top    #4

Look for something with Teflon. PTFE is the acronym for Teflon's chemical name.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Teflon tape for plastic pipe threads - easy to find at Lowes, Home depot, Ace Hardware, etc...
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    Grease isn't meant to be used on threads. You should use pipe sealant paste compatible with plastic pipes. It doesn't get hard so that it prevents you from disassembling the joint, but it seals better than the grease would.
    +1

Be careful which sealant is used as Bama described. If you use some used for metal pipe threads it may expand causing the PVC to break in the future. Also, lubricant in plastic threads is a very bad idea, as it will allow for the tapered threads to insert too deeply, again potentially causing pipes to break.
    Most mfg. advise using Teflon tape on their fittings.

I've always had great success with "LeakLock" brand blue thread sealant.
    http://www.highsidechem.com/pdfs/leaklock.pdf

I would NOT use- "Tru-Blue", or any other pipe dope.
    Again, the only brand I've used without issues is "LeakLock".
    Others may be similar, but not the same.
    24k gallon inground vinyl liner pool, 8'-3' depth, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, basic 5 chem kit.
    Hayward: DE-60 filter, Superpump VS, AquaRite salt chlorinator w/T-Cell 15, TigerShark QC robot. Jacuzzi hot tub ~350gal. Air blower type, w/8 jets.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by mgarf33 View Post
    +1

Be careful which sealant is used as Bama described. If you use some used for metal pipe threads it may expand causing the PVC to break in the future. Also, lubricant in plastic threads is a very bad idea, as it will allow for the tapered threads to insert too deeply, again potentially causing pipes to break.
    Most mfg. advise using Teflon tape on their fittings.

I've always had great success with "LeakLock" brand blue thread sealant.
    http://www.highsidechem.com/pdfs/leaklock.pdf

I would NOT use- "Tru-Blue", or any other pipe dope.
    Again, the only brand I've used without issues is "LeakLock".
    Others may be similar, but not the same.

I had read some posts about what not to use on the threads (tape) and what to use (silicone or Teflon) but wasn't sure in what form, as in sealant, lube, grease, spray, etc. once applied, can threaded pieces be taken apart or is this a permanent sealant? Do threads need to be lubricated at all if there is a chance of potential cracking, etc?
    Last edited by Idigress; 08-02-2015 at 04:21 PM. Reason: After thought...

8. Back To Top    #8

Personally I have had much better luck with teflon tape than with the various pastes, and I am aware of the tape causing the pipe to be distorted argument against it. I do prefer to use the better thicker grades of teflon tape though, not the ultra cheap white stuff.

p.s. my preferred brand is blue monster sealing tape
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

While I prefer good Teflon paste, either that or t-tape will do the job. You don't need anything else.

Threaded connections can be disassembled unless knuckle head glues them together.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    While I prefer good Teflon paste, either that or t-tape will do the job. You don't need anything else.

Threaded connections can be disassembled unless knuckle head glues them together.
    Lol that's what I'm trying to avoid, I figured the experts knew best what to use.

11. Back To Top    #11

I glue everything possible. If you need to disassemble something, use PVC Unions..... easy to disassemble and they don't use tapered threads for sealing, they use O-rings....