Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lighting, filters, decking oh my!?

1. Back To Top    #1

Lighting, filters, decking oh my!?

We are currently having a new pool installed 24 x 41 Lagoon shaped pool. Pool is under construction, we are waiting on electrical inspection so we can fill the remainder of the pool and backfill. I know nothing about pools so I'm a newbie and I have a couple of questions and concerns before the project is completed.

First thing, we got a frog mineral system. This is what came with the pool. A salt system would've only been a couple hundred dollar upgrade. We were advised they are both similar. Both are less maintenance than chlorine and convert to a chlorine. Does anyone have experience with this kind of system. Do the minerals effect the water color and how so? Does it affect hair-color worse or better than straight chlorine? Does it keep the water clean and sparkling?

Anyone have Hayward LED lights? We put one large in the deep end and two small in our sundeck. What do they look like at night? I googled images but pictures are always touched up. Any pictures of LED lights would be appreciated.

We also picked out the tan pebble liner. Upon the first fill its looks a little green and not the Aqua color it's suppose to bring. But filters haven't been on yet and pool hasn't been treated yet. Any idea if the water color will change if it's up and running? Don't want the pool to look like algae!

And last but not least. Pool deck and fence! We are doing a black aluminum fence and we are torn between doing the fence in just a plain rectangle or following the free form shape of the pool. Any advice and pictures appreciated!? Also the stamped concrete. Torn on color ideas and where to put the pool decking. Again any advice or pictures is greatly appreciated! Here are some pictures of the project thus far! Thanks.

28,000 Gallon Inground Vinyl Liner Pool (Sandstone)
    Hayward Sand Filter 2HP Pump with Frog Mineral System
    August 2015 install, testing w/ Aqua Chek 7, Pool filled with City Water Fire Department
    Dolphin Supreme M500, Haward Prologic LED lights, Sun Deck and Swim Out
    Danyale :)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lighting, filters, decking oh my!?

Wow. Those are some heavy duty shop-vacs! Looks great!

3. Back To Top    #3

You do NOT want the frog pack. It is expensive long tern and can cause many problems with green hair and such. Do a search on TFP and you will find many posts about it. The SWG is a MUCH better system short and long term.

Your water is trying to turn into a swamp. You need to chlorine in there and fast. You can mix it in with a straw broom.

You really need to get a good test kit. Look at my siggy for the ones we use and love.

Yeah the pool store will test your water for free BUT is it really free if you walk out of there with your arms full of chemicals?

Here a a couple of links to show you how we do our pools here at TFP just using stuff you can buy at Walmart! Neat huh?

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

PLEASE check back in as I really want to see this pool finished and clear.

It is a neat looking pool and shape.

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

Decking-------can two people walk/run by each other? Is wide enough to put the lounger or chair you might want there?

I would follow the curves of the pool with the fence BUT that might cost more so..........

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Congrats on the new pool and welcome to TFP!!!

Kim makes some good comments above and I agree with her.

While I'm not going to say mineral systems don't work -- they are generally not much help to folks either. They increase the risk of metal stains and because you don't normally test for the metals you are never really sure how effective they are at doing what they are supposed to be doing. I find the TFP method the simplest way to care for my pool. My mineral dispenser sits on my pad empty and alone. Buy the TF 100 test kit and use it -- it does work. Then study a bit on here and you will find its not complicated and you don't need a storage shed of chemicals or to shock your pool on a regular basis. That liner will look really Kwel.

What are the 6 inch PVC pipes coming out of the foundation around your pool? They look like dry wells for ground water monitoring.

As to decking -- As Kim says make sure you have enough of it.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Very impressive build by your PB. He seems to know exactly what he is doing and his work is neat and clean. I like it.
    What are the 6 inch PVC pipes coming out of the foundation around your pool? They look like dry wells for ground water monitoring.
    Yeah, that caught my eye, too. Wellpoints is what they're often called. Confirm that for us. Do you live on soil with a high water table?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Love the build and would love to see more pics of water filling up that liner! We are looking at a tan one also to get the carribean water look

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

The PVC pipes look like additional deck support over and above the steel angle supports. I like that extra support. They are probably set in the collar concrete and filled too.

New water usually has a green tint. And as mentioned, yours may be trending further in that direction without chemicals or circulation.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the advice! Im a newbie, we are stuck with the Frog System right now due to way too high of a price to switch to the Salt! Hope I don't get a swamp lol! Ill keep you posted. Strange thing did happen though. Company came out to start up the system, shocked it, put in calcium and various chemicals and it changed my water color from the turquoise blue that the tan liners gives to blue? Any thoughts? See pictures below.

- - - Updated - - -

The PVC pipes are concrete sonatubes for extra support of the pool walls once the concrete gets laid on top. I will but try out the TF 100 thanks for the pointers!

- - - Updated - - -

There are for support, we do have a high water table and a stream right in back of the pool but didn't hit any on the build. They did put a pump in though in case of a future issue.

Back fill was done on August 4th. We have been playing around with the chemicals and getting levels checked every week. Concrete not set to be installed for another couple of weeks!

Here are some pictures of the water color change. Didn't vacuum the pool yet on the first one sorry for the dirt from the back fill lol!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    August 2015 install, testing w/ Aqua Chek 7, Pool filled with City Water Fire Department

9. Back To Top    #9

You do not have to use the frog system. You can take the mineral pac out and just use up the chlorine ones you have. When they are gone you can start using liquid chlorine/bleach (same thing just different %)

Here is a link for you.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Metal like from the frog system can cause many problems to the pool and people down the road.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Green was gone, turned turquoise and then chemicals added now blue! Very confused!
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Back To Top    #11

Please find out what was added. Once you do we can help you fix it.

Kim