Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to add CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

How to add CYA

Ok I am new to this and not sure if im in th e right place to post, but here I go...
    I have a colman vinyl 16x48 about 5000 gal above ground pool with a intex saltwater system, and a intex sand filter system..I live in Hawaii and it is Hot and we have very Hard water...

so I have some powder likecyanuric acid or stabilizer for my pool, not the liquid but kind of looks likegrains of salt. from what I know it is used to protect yourchlorine in the pool so uv rays don't eat up the chlorine. all the videos andtips ive seen online of how to add cyanuric acid to your pool is all in anunderground pool and they add it to their underground skimmer system. how do Iadd the cyanuric acid to my above ground pool, its 16ft round 4ft deep intexpool with a krystal clear sand filter. the filter has a leaf skimmer basketwhere water is pulled in and then passes to the sand filter then back to thepool, but it feels that if I add the cyanuric acid to the leaf skimmer it willdamage it or just be washed away when it passes through the sand filter, so howdo I add it correctly. thanks very much
    I have a Coleman 16X48 above ground pool with a saltwater system and a Krystal clear 16in (410 mm) intex sand filter pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to add CYA

Welcome to TFP. Do not add any chemicals to your pool until you know your levels. Did you already order your test kit TF-100 or the taylor K-2006 is recommended. Once you get your levels you will know where to go from there. Is your water clear?
    6280 Gal Intex 17' x 52" Metal Frame AG
    2500 GPH Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal clear SWG
    Taylor K-2005 With FAS-DPD Drop TEST KIT And Speedstir
    Intex Robot Pool Cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

I took a sample to the pool store and he said to add 1lb of CYA, but didnt say how to add it.
    I have a Coleman 16X48 above ground pool with a saltwater system and a Krystal clear 16in (410 mm) intex sand filter pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Mauigal,
    Earl gave you a very good tip. Get a test kit and test the water to know how much CYA is already in there. Then we can help you determine how much.

When its time to add it and you know how much to add, put the CYA in a sock or old pillowcase, and hang it on the end of a pole in front of a return. It will take a few hours for it dissolve. You can help it along by periodically squeezing the sock to help get the CYA out of it.

Here a few links to help you better understand the pool paramaters and TFPs recommended levels..
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Recommended Levels
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Regarding test kits, TFP recommends the TF100 and the Taylor K2006C

hope this helps get you started.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Here is how I hung mine, so it was suspended without touching the side. I used my pole with the brush on the end. I would go out and squeeze it periodically to help it dissolve quicker. But as recommended above, make sure you ready do need it before you add it. About the only way to get rid of it if you have too much is water replacement. I did mine in two parts. It takes a few days to show up on the testing after it is added.

26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Assuming you trust the store testing and want to add it, use a sock.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, she's fast! Double post of her picture!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I just happened to be on and thought I'd share. I should have taken a better quality photo, lol. That was right after my fill. My water is so much clearer now after filtering for a while. The township water I have is a bit rusty or something, we are the next to the last house on the line.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Someone said you can take hot water and dissolve half at a time, is this true? also how long till the kids can swim after adding the CYA?

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Mauigal View Post
    Someone said you can take hot water and dissolve half at a time, is this true? also how long till the kids can swim after adding the CYA?
    If you hang the sock in front of a return it'll all be gone in a day. What's the big rush?

The kids can get in immediately, as long as they don't start playing with the sock. If they can't resist it, pull it and set it in a plastic bucket until they're done, then put it back.

Of more concern is that you a) have correct pH and b) have some chlorine in the water. You can use bleach to get an immediate level. to get from nothing to 2 will only take 2 measuring cups of plain old laundry bleach. That will give you some protection until the saltwater generator starts generating enough.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

I have enough chlorine, but it doesnt last all day, by 1:00 I have to turn my salt water system on again to get it up.

11. Back To Top    #11

The CYA will help with the FC loss.

It is very important to maintain FC at target level at all times for your CYA and the Chlorine CYA Chart. If your FC is below the minimum level on the chart then your pool is unsanitary, algae will start growing and there is increased risk of person to person disease transmission.

More here, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    and here, Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Please add your pool info to your signature as shown here, Pool School - Getting Started
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok thank you, I'm looking for a sock right now...

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Mauigal View Post
    Ok thank you, I'm looking for a sock right now...
    I use a 5 gallon paint strainer to hold the granules in front of the return jet. Available from any hardware store. Costs $1.50 and lasts forever.
    35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

"I'd build a deck over my pool if I didn't have a SWG"

14. Back To Top    #14

I have used hot water and a bucket and you can dissolve 4lbs in about 20-30 min.

The pain of doing it that way is you have to squeeze it over and over so your wrists
    get a work out and might be sore next day.

I just use a sock in front of a jet now...it typically ends up leaving a bunch of tiny white
    specs of cya on the deep end so I run the suction robot at the same time to pick it up
    and get back in the filter.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.