Hesci from Jenks, OK!

SilverRain79

Jul 20, 2015
Jenks, Oklahoma
That's "Hello" in the Muskogee (Creek) Nation language. ;-)

So just over a month ago I bought my first AGP, it's an Intex Oval soft pool, I'd been creeping around the forum since about 2 weeks before that. :cool: The past month has been an expensive and frustrating learning experience. My first mistake was thinking all chemicals are created equal and buying HTH products from Wal-Mart. I know, I'm an idiot. I read several posts on this forum and thought "It's a small pool, I'll be fine using the HTH 4 step stuff at Wal-mart."

:geek:

I spent over a month battling cloudy water, finally got my water clear and then I had the pump off for about 3 days while I constructed a second return/fountain to cool the water b/c it was almost bath water warm... And the chlorine bottomed out... And I had algae appear. So then I tried to SLAM the pool using Chlor-Hypo and all I managed to do was double the hardness in my water. Finally at my wits end I admitted defeat, came back here and did more research, drained half the pool and started over using the BBB method. 3 days later and my PH and Alkalinity are in perfect balance and the water is crystal clear.

I had gone to a large chain pool supply store for guidance and they were of no help, in fact they were down right rude and told me I needed to buy a new pump and all these chemicals. And when I inquired about how I might vacuum with my stock Intex pump the guy laughed at me and told me I'd need to buy some overpriced piece of junk they had there. I'll have you know I put together a vacuum using the hose I bought, this rinkydink garden hose vacuum from Wal-Mart (that was practically useless except for small leaves and sand), and a $3 rubber pipe/hose adapter from Home Depot. I can even vacuum to waste by running the return hose down our sewer clean out which is (by design) right by the pool. I am going to upgrade my pump next year, haven't decided which route I'm going yet. I do know that I'll do a lot of research on these forums and make an educated decision. Sometimes I can be really hard headed and have to make my own mistakes (sometimes costly) and this time was no exception... However, in the end, this forum helped me out tremendously.

Finally Clear 8-1-15.jpg Pool Vacuum.jpg

Thank you! :D

Hi,
Welcome to TFP.
great first post you made. the pool looks great and that vacuum you invented....well Im sure some other folks will be around soon or later asking you for some advice on that!
Nice job,

Thank you! I was determined to vacuum with that pump, and it seemed ridiculous to me to buy a huge vacuum attachment for such a little pool. I already had the Walmart vacuum. This really helpful guy at the Home Depot I go to (who also helped me figure out my fountain) found the rubber adapter, it fit right into that little Walmart pool vacuum and the 1.5" vacuum hose fit snugly into the middle. I did have to plug the garden hose inlet on the vacuum, used a bit of cork from a wine bottle. Heh. It was a tad cumbersome at first, the hose was way way too long. But I split the hose and put new swivel cuffs on the ends, giving me just the right amount of hose to vacuum the pool and enough left over to run the return to the sewer clean out. If anyone needs names/part numbers on the hose/adapter/vacuum I'd be happy to share. Only word of caution is you have to be very sure you have little no no air in the hose, or you risk locking up your pump.

- - - Updated - - -

awesome.. stick around and enjoy :) ask any questions, we like em :)

Oh, I'm sure I'll have more questions. Especially next season when I upgrade my pump. :D

Welcome SilverRain79 I`m glad you got a pool just one less family from Tulsa area stopping at my house asking where is Blue Hole Park lol.

Your homemade vacuum is cool I have not used my pump setup in over 3 years. I use Pool Buster I bought from Lowe`s it works great.

Again welcome to the family.

Welcome SilverRain79 I`m glad you got a pool just one less family from Tulsa area stopping at my house asking where is Blue Hole Park lol.

Your homemade vacuum is cool I have not used my pump setup in over 3 years. I use Pool Buster I bought from Lowe`s it works great.

Again welcome to the family.

LOL I was just out at Blue Hole for the 4th of July, my best friend's family lives in Salina, OK. We go out there every year for the carnival and fireworks. I can only imagine how annoying that must get, getting random people stopping by for directions. I was never one of them though, I had a tour guide. ;)

Hmmm... I'd feel much better about buying a pool vacuum from Lowe's than... Other places. I might look into that, thank you!

What a DIY person! Nice to meet you and welcome!

Kim

Thank you, nice to meet you as well. =-) I recently became a DIY person as my father passed away in February and now I'm the man of the house taking care of things for my mom. I've fixed several electrical and plumbing issues. My sister and her kids just recently moved in too... Ugh. But they're enjoying the pool thanks to TFP! =-)

I hope you stick around and help others that are going through what you just did. I bet you can help a lot with your skills.

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

Full house for sure. How many kids? WOW you are doing a great thing helping all of them out!

Kim

I hope you stick around and help others that are going through what you just did. I bet you can help a lot with your skills.

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

Full house for sure. How many kids? WOW you are doing a great thing helping all of them out!

Kim

It's mom, my sister, her 3 kids (2 of which are special needs), myself, 2 dogs and a cat. I had to build a fence for the pool to keep the dogs out and to keep my Autistic nephew out of the pool while it's being shocked and so he won't swim unattended. Ended up slicing my hand down to the bone halfway through it's construction, had to get help from my BIL to finish it. I shed a lot of blood and sweat getting that pool up and running. lol I wasn't too happy when my sister and her kids moved in, but it's kind of nice at times. We've lived in this house for nearly 20yrs and we're actively using the backyard as a family. And it keeps my mom from being alone after dad died, I work 40hrs a week usually so some days I wouldn't see her till I got home then I'd have to go straight to bed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support