1. Back To Top    #1

Chemistry confusion - new member - old pool

I just got my Taylor 2006 kit and recorded the following numbers
    FC 2.0/CC 0.2 = TC 2.2
    PH 7.4
    TA 120
    CH 300
    CYA 0
    This is the first time I have personally tested our pool in years.

Our pool was filled in 2010 and is covered with a vinyl pool cover >95% of the time.
    The pool guy has been doing the chemistry and most of the chlorine added is
    via a Pentair Rainbow 300 offline drip feeder. Supplemented with liquid chlorine and
    acid as needed.

What confuses me is the 0 value for CYA. From reading the forum shouldn't the use
    of tricolor in a feeder cause the CYA to continuously increase due to stabilizer in the tablets
    until you have to drain water to get it back in range? I am having the opposite problem, and
    have 0 CYA using tricolor tablets.

All this is in preparation for adding a liquid chlorine feeder, probably the Stenner pump approach,
    which seems the most bullet proof. Can't use SWG, though I would love to, because we have a
    cover with metal rails installed below the coping, and also travertine natural stone for coping and deck.
    Evidently the heightened salt content would not be nice to these items.
    The automatic chlorinators, such as Intellichem, don't get good grades for reliability, and the
    ozone/uv systems like Solar Eclipse don't seem to work at all in outdoor, low usage pools.

Hope I am making sense.
    Thanks for any inputs
    Mike
    15k gal, IG, plaster. Max depth 5.5 ft. Temp ~88 deg. 800 gal spa, fed with sml % from pool. Vinyl cover on tracks. Hayward 1.5hp, single spd pump. Pentair 420 ft2 filter.
    Pentair 400k BTU heater. Offline chlorine feeder. Pool Sweep/booster pump. Pentair Intellitouch i9+3, suction/return/solar valves.
    Four addl pumps - spa jets; sml waterfall (daily); lrg waterfall; waterslide

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chemistry confusion - new member - old pool

Welcome to TFP!

Yes you make sense and I agree with your confusion over the CYA. Have you had any "events" recently that allowed hour FC to drop to 0 recently? The only posibilitys I can come up with is testing error or bacterial conversion of the CYA.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

No events that I am aware of, just infrequent replenishing of the pool water. Maybe 1" per week.
    I was thinking that maybe our low usage pattern coupled with a cover that is almost always on the pool was somehow
    causing the CYA to be so low.

I will retest and see if I get a different reading.

Thanks
    Mike
    15k gal, IG, plaster. Max depth 5.5 ft. Temp ~88 deg. 800 gal spa, fed with sml % from pool. Vinyl cover on tracks. Hayward 1.5hp, single spd pump. Pentair 420 ft2 filter.
    Pentair 400k BTU heater. Offline chlorine feeder. Pool Sweep/booster pump. Pentair Intellitouch i9+3, suction/return/solar valves.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Mike,
    That is a bit perplexing.
    However, I would trust the Taylor test kit. If it says 0, then thats what it is...

I tell ya though, especially since you're in CA, consider yourself very fortunate that you wont have to face the possiblity of draining your pool or managing FC with extremely high CYA. A lot of folks right now arent as fortunate as that.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, I will just be happy with my luck. I did a retest with the same result. Maybe not CYA=0, but the water was almost
    clear with the solution added. Put 7ml of pool water in the test tube, added 7ml of R0013 reagent as directed, shook
    for 30 seconds. After filling the viewing tube all the way (just past the 30 ppm mark), the black dot on the bottom
    was still completely visible, and the water+reagent was almost clear.
    I will stay with my trichlor tablets, and drip feeder, a bit longer before I go to the hassle of converting to a liquid chlorine feeder. I'll keep
    an eye on the CYA level in the meantime. I suppose I do need to get both the FC level up a bit, to 3 or so, and definitely have to get the
    conditioner (CYA) to a level of 30 or so.
    Thanks for the quick replies.
    Mike

6. Back To Top    #6

That sounds like a great plan Mike.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!