Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Riddle me this: professional cleaning versus personal cleaning

1. Back To Top    #1

Riddle me this: professional cleaning versus personal cleaning

For the last 5 or so years the same company maintained our pool. They were in and out in 30-45 minutes.

We now have a new pool maintenance person (previous folks retired). Even if we weren't having (what I suspect are) CYA issues, the current cleaning service would still be required to visit the pool no less than 2 days a week.

What is the closely-guarded secret?! How can the prof companies do it so quickly on one visit per week, but the new provider takes hours and a minimum of 2 visits to maintain pretty water?
    20x40 in-ground concrete "vintage" pool
    Approx 35k gal
    Concrete, plaster and epoxy paint
    Sand filter
    DIY plaster resurface repairs completed 6/2015.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Riddle me this: professional cleaning versus personal cleaning

Each pool service company will follow their own method to take care of the pools and some spend more time than others taking care of the pools.

I spend maybe 25 minutes a week working on my pool and that includes brushing it. I guarantee you that my pool water, using the TFP method and suggested chem levels, is in better shape than any "professionally" serviced pool.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Riddle me this: professional cleaning versus personal cleaning

Believe me! If I were living in the home attached to the pool (rather than 300 miles away) I would personally be maintaining the pool. But 2 weeks after buying the house (some 6 years ago) my husband deployed. He returned a year later with orders in hand to move. Hence, why I never learned how to care for it, much less in the TFP way. If I only knew then what I knew now. . .
    20x40 in-ground concrete "vintage" pool
    Approx 35k gal
    Concrete, plaster and epoxy paint
    Sand filter
    DIY plaster resurface repairs completed 6/2015.