Small amout of recurring green algae

Jul 2, 2012
Cupertino,CA
I seem to constantly have a small amount of green algae. It is mostly found on the steps and in tight corners. (where the sweep doesn't go)

Today's test results:
FC=1.8 (I added16 oz. 12.5%chlorine)
CC=0
PH=7.9 (I added 22 oz. muriatic acid)
TA=110
CH=400
CYA=45
Temp=85 (we like it warm)
SI=0.5

I run the filter for 5 hours a day, with Jandy Aquapure set at 90%.
I currently do not use, or test for borates.

I am pretty confident that if I were to go to Leslie's, they would tell me that my phosphates are high, and recommend adding Phosfree. (from past years experience)
I am trying to stay within the TFP way of thinking.

Is there something obvious that I am missing?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Your testing this morning shows why it I s happening. You are letting your FC drop too low at times and the steps are probably an area of poor circulation, thus they probably run a little lower. You have a low level algae colony living in the water and the SWCG can't really keep up.

Turn off the SWCG and SLAM with liquid chlorine. Once the algae is gone you should bring the CYA up to 70 or so and start the SWCG again.

Last edited:
I would put enough stabilizer now to bring the cya to 70. Then slam based on 70. It could take up to a week for the new cya level to test properly
I wouldn't. I'd slam at 45 and leave CYA right where it is. During the SLAM process, the pool is a bleach pool. The difference is maintaining shock level of 18 versus 28!!!

When the algae has been defeated for once and for all, then see about raising CYA to ease the burden on the SWG.

OK.
Thanks for the responses.
I will read-up on the SLAM method.
I will report back with my amazing success!!!

;o)
Read through it and ask questions. It is totally against what pool stores teach, so we understand it may not feel right. Ask questions. We want you to succeed quickly.

Did I say don't be afraid to ask questions?

Thanks, Tim.
You are right, this defies what I have been taught.
We have always tried to minimize the amounts of chemicals added to the water, hence the SWG to begin with.

So SLAM....Shock, level and maintain.
I have read a few articles and I think that I get the shock and maintain part.
I will go back and read again, but I am not understanding the "level" part.
Once I raise the FC to 17ish, and successfully kill-off any remaining algae, do I just wait for the FC level to naturally come back down to a normal level, THEN start maintaining with the SWG?
I am using the 17 FC value loosely. Reading the chlorine/CYA chart,
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
it doesn't show a selection of having a SWG AND a CYA of only 45.

I like the Overnight test idea. I will be doing that, to get a better idea of the situation. There is very little visible algae, it just never goes away!
With the water temp being high, and the awesome sunny days recently, the SWG just doesn't seem to be able to keep up.

Mike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's more like; "ShockLevel And Maintain". You need to get up to Shocklevel and then Maintain it there until you pass all 3 criteria. Then you let it drift down to the proper FC for your CYA. In your case, since you have a SWCG, after you are successful with the SLAM, you will want to raise the CYA to 70 and turn your SWCG back on.

Before all that though, you need to check on your pH again. It's recommended that it be 7.2 before you start the SLAM. Once your FC is above 10 the pH test will not read correctly. So it's best to adjust it before that happens. Once the SLAM is complete and the FC is below 10 you can retest and adjust if needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.