Size of o-rings for solar panel?

May 29, 2014
Richland, WA
This is a shot in the dark since I haven't had time to get on the roof and measure the size of the o-rings or even the manufacturer of the solar panels... BUT, I was wondering if there were a single standard size (or a couple sizes, o-rings are cheap enough I don't mind buying a couple different ones) and if Home Depot would have them or something...

I've noticed some leaking on nights when the air temp cools down to around 70 degrees... Not enough that it looks like I sprang a leak, but enough that I have for or five constant drops every second and it needs fixed. I figure it's o rings...

Super busy so was hoping to buy first and then get on the roof and solve it in one go. The pool is about 23 years old and I have no idea the manufacturer of the panels...

What kind of panels are you talking about? Most do not have o-rings or are you talking about the rubber coupler that connects the header? You can usually just tighten those to stop leaks.

IMG_1580c.jpg

+1 on just tightening the clamps. It is normal to have to retighten the hose clamps once or twice after installation and the panels have been through some expansion and contraction cycles. And maybe one for time in winter when they will be most contracted.

There are many different ways that the panels are connected to each other. Some use the hose and clamps like the above picture. My Heliocol are a completely different design and use proprietary rubber seals that go in a groove.

I think you need to do some more homework to figure out what the actual problem is.

I'm pretty sure it's an actual leak... Its not a huge amount, but over a couple hours it could fill probably a five gallon bucket. And I guess I'm going to have to get on the roof first and find out more info! Was hoping it would be and easy "oh, it's going to be this size or that size, I've never seen anything but those two..." Lol.

LOL! Come on! It's a pool! If anyone could get any of the pool industry together to standardize on anything ... sigh ... Heck, some of the manufacturers make stuff that isn't compatible with some of their other stuff! :-D

LOL! Come on! It's a pool! If anyone could get any of the pool industry together to standardize on anything ... sigh ... Heck, some of the manufacturers make stuff that isn't compatible with some of their other stuff! :-D

Ha!! I'm also kinda worried about finding parts for some of the stuff now since its been 20+ years... Solar panel probably won't be a HUGE issue, but I'm constantly worried about the cover (SafeT II?) and it's sheer pins... A lot of the local pool places have no idea what the part numbers might be & usually have to dig into the "old drawer of junk". Last time they just gave me a handful of them & didn't charge me anything because they didn't know how to ring them up or if any would fit. Thankfully ONE did... But man if that goes... I haven't even been able to find anywhere online to order them :-/

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.