Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Size of o-rings for solar panel?

1. Back To Top    #1

Size of o-rings for solar panel?

This is a shot in the dark since I haven't had time to get on the roof and measure the size of the o-rings or even the manufacturer of the solar panels... BUT, I was wondering if there were a single standard size (or a couple sizes, o-rings are cheap enough I don't mind buying a couple different ones) and if Home Depot would have them or something...

I've noticed some leaking on nights when the air temp cools down to around 70 degrees... Not enough that it looks like I sprang a leak, but enough that I have for or five constant drops every second and it needs fixed. I figure it's o rings...

Super busy so was hoping to buy first and then get on the roof and solve it in one go. The pool is about 23 years old and I have no idea the manufacturer of the panels...
    20,000 gallon in ground plaster pool built 1991.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Size of o-rings for solar panel?

What kind of panels are you talking about? Most do not have o-rings or are you talking about the rubber coupler that connects the header? You can usually just tighten those to stop leaks.

Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

+1 on just tightening the clamps. It is normal to have to retighten the hose clamps once or twice after installation and the panels have been through some expansion and contraction cycles. And maybe one for time in winter when they will be most contracted.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

There are many different ways that the panels are connected to each other. Some use the hose and clamps like the above picture. My Heliocol are a completely different design and use proprietary rubber seals that go in a groove.

I think you need to do some more homework to figure out what the actual problem is.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

It's not condensation is it, after cooling down at night...
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Jandy Automation /w IAqualink
    Autopilot SWG
    Jandy 2.0 HP VSP, Filter Cartridge
    Taylor (FAS-DPD K-2600, Pool Surface: Plaster

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm pretty sure it's an actual leak... Its not a huge amount, but over a couple hours it could fill probably a five gallon bucket. And I guess I'm going to have to get on the roof first and find out more info! Was hoping it would be and easy "oh, it's going to be this size or that size, I've never seen anything but those two..." Lol.

7. Back To Top    #7

LOL! Come on! It's a pool! If anyone could get any of the pool industry together to standardize on anything ... sigh ... Heck, some of the manufacturers make stuff that isn't compatible with some of their other stuff!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    LOL! Come on! It's a pool! If anyone could get any of the pool industry together to standardize on anything ... sigh ... Heck, some of the manufacturers make stuff that isn't compatible with some of their other stuff!
    Ha!! I'm also kinda worried about finding parts for some of the stuff now since its been 20+ years... Solar panel probably won't be a HUGE issue, but I'm constantly worried about the cover (SafeT II?) and it's sheer pins... A lot of the local pool places have no idea what the part numbers might be & usually have to dig into the "old drawer of junk". Last time they just gave me a handful of them & didn't charge me anything because they didn't know how to ring them up or if any would fit. Thankfully ONE did... But man if that goes... I haven't even been able to find anywhere online to order them :-/