Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: *Newb here* !Test results!

1. Back To Top    #1

*Newb here* !Test results!

Hopefully I added all the needed info to my signature. With that said, I can't post all the test #'s needed as the test kit I bought this past week before stumbling onto this amazing site only has the ability to test Chlorine & pH levels.

I can't purchase the Taylor kit until the 6th so here's what I do have so far:

Chlorine (kit calls it CL): 0.6
    pH: 8.2

I'd been adding a gallon of bleach each week & water was clear. A few days ago we had a storm & the pump got knocked over and shut off. What I found the next morning was a green pool and mosquito larvae. Disgusting!

My question is, can I treat this with just those numbers to get it stabilized until I can test with a Taylor kit this coming Thursday? I don't want it to get way worse! Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: *Newb here* !Test results!

Hello and welcome! Well, you are at a disadvantage without a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006, but simply adding about one gallon of bleach each evening should hold you over until you get it. It won't clear the water, just keep things from getting too far out of hand. But for now, you need to lower your PH right away in preparation for a SLAM. Use acid for a target of 7.2. A couple other things to think of in advance:
    - Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    - Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    -- Have you ever added stabilizer of used tablets/pucks? You need to know your CYA reading.
    - Poolmath calculator
    Become familiar with those links and start stocking-up on regular bleach. You'll need it for the SLAM. Not much else we can do until your kit arrives. When it does, post a full set of numbers and we'll go from there.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you! I had just finished reading those two threads. Haha I've never used anything other than Chlorox bleach so, no on the tablets or anything else. Would it help to get a tablet floaty and add some in addition to the daily gallon of bleach until next week?

4. Back To Top    #4

Actually, since you've never used anything but bleach, that's good! Just stick with that. Bleach doesn't add any other chemicals, so you know what you're getting each time. But you can use generic bleach to save a buck or two. The one thing you can do right now while waiting on a good test kit is add stabilizer. It dissolves in about a day, but takes about one week to fully integrate with the water and show on your readings, so that would be good to do now. Add enough granular stabilizer for a target CYA of 30, and place in a while sock and soak/suspend near a return jet. So starting the stabilizer and adding about a gallon of bleach each night, and PH to 7.2 should get you prepared for your SLAM when the test kit arrives.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you so much for your reply! I'll do that & come back with results on testing day. Can't wait to post a before and after pic. lol

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't know that I would adjust anything until the test kit arrives...

My test strips were showing sub 7 PH, then I got a decent test kit and found I as actually in range.

I would just put a couple gallons of bleach in every day until the kit comes.

Sean
    17X34 above ground painted concrete pool. 32" deep on the shallow end, 44" on the deep end. Sand pool filter.