SWG Pool Chemistry

tprjoe

Aug 1, 2015
Hornell, NY
I have been a visitor to this site for some time now and have benefitted greatly from the advice found here. This is my first post...

I have a 16,000 gallon, vinyl liner, SWG pool. I recently had my water tested at a pool store and their recommended ranges differ greatly from those on this site. Specifically, my current TA is 96 ppm. The computerized analysis recommends a range of 120-150 ppm, while this site suggests 60-80 ppm. Along with the analysis comes instructions to raise the TA as well as the Borates (currently 1 ppm). I am interested in increasing the Borates (I have read many posts on this site), but need to take care of the TA first, if necessary. My pH is at 7.7.

What is my target TA level? Should I do anything before adding Borate, or just proceed with that step? The analysis does show a copper level of 0.1 ppm.

Thanks for any help!

Your TA is fine. That is assuming the test is accurate, which with pool store testing is a crapshoot. Before you make any additions to your pool, you need an accurate way of testing. Do yourself (and your pool) a favor and get a recommended test kit. I highly recommend the TF-100.

Why are you wanting to add borates? PH bounce?

Welcome to TFP!

Sorry to say this, but most pool store testing is worth what you pay for it, zero. That computerized analysis is not to be trusted just to warn you. If you want to follow the TFPC way of managing your pool one of the recommended test kits is a must. Like chiefwej, I recommend the TF-100.

If you want to follow the TFPC method this is the link for your chemical targets, Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs.

I suggest not to add borates just yet until you dial in the pool chemistry with the TF-100 test kit. Once you see how the pool is behaving when it is balanced with TFP levels then it might be time to add borates.

My interest in adding borates is based on the pool company recommendation of 30-50 ppm and the info I have found on this site about the benefits of borates.

I will wait on the borates and get the TF-100.

Thanks for the help! I appreciate the insights! What a great site!!

Lets try and understand whats going on before you adjusting and adding stuff.

the SW systems produce chlorine gas inside the cell. The generation of the gas inside the cell causes a rapid rise in pH.
TA is a buffer to pH. They go hand in hand. If the pH rises in your pool quickly, then the way to counter that is to lower the TA.

So with a SWG pool raising the TA will INCREASE how quickly the pH rises, which is exactly what you don't want.

Borates can also help counteract the rise of pH if its necessary.

The way to approach what is happening is to measure your pH ever couple of days over a couple of weeks time. If you have to add Muriatic acid more than once a week, then lower the TA a bit and see if that helps. With a Vinyl Liner pool, you can knock the TA down as low as 60 or even 50 (mine is 50).

If at that time you feel you still need to slow down the pH rise, then consider Borates.

PS on what the pool store told you...
Why would the pool store tell you to raise your TA, which will accelerate the pH rise,
and then turn right around and tell you to add borates, which would counter act the addition of sodium bicarbonate? It makes no sense, and in fact, is outright ludicrious!

Do yourself a couple of favors.
1. Get your own reliable test kit so you know the numbers are accurate
2. Never set foot into that pool store again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.