Post Install Issues - Intex 15x48

jtk

Jul 31, 2015
algonquin/il
hi everyone, new guy to forum, could us some advice.

first time owner, so i'm sure i'm learning the hard way, but i have a couple issues going. so i have a 15x48, and a 12' concrete patio (also not level). i excavated about 6-8' of ground off the patio, so the pool is half on ground (with pavers to help level) and half on concrete, with 5000lbs of packed sand under both to aid in leveling. i used the pavers to help compensate for additional settling on the ground that i wouldn't see on the concrete side.

#1 the verticle poles on the frame seem to be creeping out on 5 of the 15, and importantly, the two that are near the drain (on concrete) are the worse. the drain plug is at such an angle, it's no longer usable. i used a smart level to take some measurements, and the 2 poles nearest the i/o holes are 3.8 and 4.2 degrees out of plumb, and wow that doesn't look good when you're standing close. i'm worried about safety on this one, if this thing dumps, it's going directly in my garage and would be a minor disaster (not to mention god forbid someone be in it). also i'd like to note that these were not exactly level to start, but have visually slowly drifted over about a month.

i also realize it was a dumb idea to put the pool that close to the home (4' on 2 sides), i did this for proximity to garage power, as well as privacy. i'm an engineer by trade, so "mr math" decided if i did my calculations correctly there wouldn't be an issue :razz:, bad idea. overall, 5 of the 15 on adjacent sides of the pool are within 1/2 degree of plumb, other 5 within 1 degree. so with that being said, is this thing structurally sound? if you swim or slosh around a bit, you do hear a bit of creaking, but i wasn't sure if that was typical of a metal frame pool.

#2 i'm on well water, very bad well water (high iron). so we had a service come out and fill it, at $350 flat rate (the pool cost $250). it's been up for about a month, and for about 2 1/2 weeks, water levels were fine (some heavy rain, little use). last week, i lost about an inch and a half. so i refilled with well water, and ran the saltwater filter on boost for about 24 hours. water isn't quite as clear as it was but seems ok. that was tuesday, and now i'm back to the same level again (right at the top of the outtake filter). there are no visible leaks, so sorry if this is a stupid question, but how much of this should i associate with evaporation? we haven't had any rain in over 2 weeks.

sorry for the long post, like i said guys i'm a little green regarding this, so any help or advice would be appreciated. hope you're all having a great summer.

thank you kindly, josh

welcome TFP!

A pic or two might help us really see what you are talking about.

Is the top of the pool level? Is the water level inside the pool?

Use a 5 gal bucket to test for your evaporation rate.

Kim

If it's been hot n no rain n people are using the pool daily, it sounds like evaporation. I went through the same thing and lost a lot of water to evaporation and heavy pool use over the last 2 weeks. I finally had to top the pool off the other day.

Since you are up north, you may be able to squeak by until the end of pool season and save the water. I'd like to second the request for pics though n see what you're working with.

Welcome to TFP!

Hi Casey and Kim,

Thanks a lot for the feedback. The water level inside the pool is fairly level, I'm about a half inch off from one side to the other. The issue with the vertical poles concerns me, I am going to check them daily and see if they are in fact moving out at the bottom. I will use the bucket test thank you for the suggestion.

I topped off with the well water again yesterday, running the filter on boost and added some additional chlorine as well. ph levels are normal. I had cleaned the filter before I topped off last Monday, so I pulled it out for cleaning again yesterday, and it was bright orange from all of the iron in the water. And I only added about an inch! Hopefully we can make it another month or two.

Thanks again,

Attachments

• IMG_20150802_151200778_rd.jpg
    IMG_20150802_151200778_rd.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20150802_151146175_HDR_rd_1.jpg
    IMG_20150802_151146175_HDR_rd_1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20150801_135026691_HDR_rd_2.jpg
    IMG_20150801_135026691_HDR_rd_2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20150801_135006730_rd_1.jpg
    IMG_20150801_135006730_rd_1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20150801_134959458_rd.jpg
    IMG_20150801_134959458_rd.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 82
It doesn't look horrible to me at all. I'd watch it carefully through the last month or so of summer, take the pool down for winter and start over next year if you choose.

With the water being that level I don't think I would worry too much about it.

I have seen where someone took canvas strapping like a tow strap and put that on the bottom of the legs to help hold them in place. He might have used more that one due to size of the pool. It looked like it worked great.

Kim

The poles do not have to be plumb. Stop measuring them and enjoy your pool. The Intex pool is not like a permanent above ground pool where the poles should be plumb. The Intex pool is a bag pool, one step up from the inflatable ring pools which have no poles. The frame of the pool is designed to move around and creak. That is why the parts are not bolted together.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.