New Pool with SWG, trying to get started with the TFPC method, a few questions???

Carnut12

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2013
Forsyth, GA
Good Afternoon,
I have relied on this forum for many things, it helped me immensely making decisions for my pool build. Now my pool has water and I need some advice/help. I do not want to rely on the PB, I would rather learn on my own so I can do this myself going forward.

My pool is around 30,000 gallons based on my calculations, 22X44 free form with deep end. They filled it with water last week, we put the salt in 2 days ago. Initially they said they added chlorine to get it going, but they forgot to add the salt so I did so 2-3 days later.

A few questions-
I put the IC-40 on Boost level because the pool shows Zero Chlorine, is this OK?

Here are my current readings using the TF-100-
FC- 0
PH- 7.5
CH- 150
TA- 60
CYA- 0 (After adding to the bottom of the label then adding the R-0013 to the top of the label it stayed clear as can be, I am assuming this means it is Zero)

At this point I think I need to add bleach and get the levels up before the SWG can do its job, is that right or should i just leave the SWG on boost for 24 hours to increase the levels>

I read that I should have got the levels correct before I added the salt, but it is to late to do that at this point.

Any advice would be appreciated, in the mean time I will keep reading the forum to get pointed in the right direction.

Thank you!!!!

Just to add the pool water is clear at this point, the pump is running 24 hours right now. It does appear the water is getting a little foggy, but not bad, also the bottom is very slippery, I am not sure if that is the salt or possibly because it has not chlorine to kill algae build up.

I read through pool school a while back, I am doing so again now, it references the chart that shows CYA to show how much to add for your FC, I do not show any CYA (Unless I am doing the test wrong) so I am not sure what direction to take.

CYA will not be in the water unless you add it. You need to add enough CYA to raise it to 40 for now which will be 10 lbs. of granular CYA. You might need to SLAM the pool if algae already started to grow and you don't want more CYA than 40.

Add 1 gallon of 8.25% bleach to help boost up the FC.

CYA will not be in the water unless you add it. You need to add enough CYA to raise it to 40 for now which will be 10 lbs. of granular CYA. You might need to SLAM the pool if algae already started to grow and you don't want more CYA than 40.

Add 1 gallon of 8.25% bleach to help boost up the FC.

Thank you, I will go buy 10 lbs of CYA and pick up some bleach as well. I am looking forward to taking this on myself!!!

Should I leave the SWG on Boost? Boost means it runs at 100% for 24 hours.

Yes, you can add bleach while you are adding the CYA. To add the CYA put it in a sock or two and hang it in front of a return jet or place it in the skimmer and keep the pump running until it is dissolved. Squeeze the sock every so often will help speed up to dissolve the CYA. I use soccer socks to hold larger amounts of CYA.

Unfortunately I do not have a brush yet, I do have a Dolphins Robot on order, I am assuming that will help a lot.

I added about 1.5 gallons of bleach and 4 lbs of CYA in a sock, right now I just have it floating from the empty bleach bottle, but I may hang it right by the return jet to accelerate the process. After that I will add another 4 lbs, Walmart only had 2 container left so 8 lbs for now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I put it next to the jet, it is dissolving much quicker now, should I just add 4 lbs for now? Or should I add the other 4 pounds as soon as it dissolves?

I tested the water about 30-45 minutes after adding the the bleach and I have 7 PPM now of chlorine, should I back the SWG down at this point or let it continue to circulate?

I will continue to test the Chlorine every hour or so and take from different sides of the pool each time.

Good stuff, so it is still maintaining the 7 PPG and that is with the SWG Off, I added 2 bags of salt to bring the salt up so I turned of the SWG. Pump/Filter are still going and the 4 lbs of CYA is GONE!!!

I will add 4 more lbs tomorrow morning and then test again next week.

I am going to do the Overnight Test to see how much I maintain before the sun comes up tomorrow.

I need my robot bad, the pool needs a good cleaning, without a deck yet the mud/dirt gets tracked everywhere.

I lost 1 PPM FC overnight, that was with the SWG off. I had .5 CC, based on the OCLT it looks like I figured this out before any algae breakouts.

Thank you Ping!!!! Now I just need my robot to get this pool Clean, the water looks Great!!!!

I just tested again after 4 hours of sunlight, it is back to 7 PPM and Zero CC (Maybe it was there this morning and I messed up, but I am pretty sure I didn't). I did put the SWG back on at 40% so it appears to be maintaining no problem. Also I added the other 4 lbs of CYA, the PH only went down to 7.2 at this point so I am not going to mess with it.

Any other suggestions at this point? I am assuming I am on my way to being a TFPC Rookie soon to be intermediate!!! Knock on wood, everything is looking good so far.

Also the Salt level is now up to about 3200 after I added the last 2 bags so it looks like I am good there also.

Thank you again Ping, you have been a great help!!!

My FC went up about 1 PPG in the past 24 hours, that was with sun all day and the kids in the pool for a good amount of time, I am going to back the SWG to 20%. The pump is still running 24 hours, eventually I will back that down and switch it to 40% again.

Sound about right? I do not want my FC to rise, it is already high, I was hoping it would come down some at 40%.

You will most likely have to keep tweaking the SWG for a little while until the CYA is established at your desired level. What brand and size of SWG do you have? With this information we can calculate how much chlorine you are adding each day.

Sorry I will update my profile, I have the Pentair Intellichlor IC40, I turned the pump off all day and the FC went down 1.5, I put the pump back on at 20%.

My pool is still in process so the intellitouch is not hooked up, I am doing all adjustments manually at this point.

The good news is I put in 8 pounds of CYA and my PH is still good at 7.2. I will keep playing with it until the CYA is up to 60 or so, then I can figure out around what it needs daily and set it accordingly.

I am starting to get the hang of this!! Knock on wood....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.