Day 1.5

Aug 1, 2015
Whittier
Hello,

My name is Rob and the pool is currently filling as I type. Our family is very exited but also anxious and keeping our fingers crossed that there are no major issues like some of the ones I have been reading about on this board. There have been some setbacks during construction of the decking but most of it has been taken care of. I have been sweeping the stonescape like a madman, and this muggy and hot Southern California weather isn't helping. We fire up the Hayward pumps and filter on Monday. I know I will be running to this site often for all my pool related questions.

Hi,
welcome to TFP! You've come to the right place.

The best advice I can give you, is to now get on the ball and learn about your water chemistry and how to keep it balanced.
Its exciting to go through the construction process, but dont forget the reason for the process in the first place is to hold a pool of water for enjoyment.

Improper pool chemistry and keeping your pool balanced by far, is the biggest challenge you face right now.

Check out Pool School button, and start with teh ABC's of pool chemistry to start learning.
You will also need a good reliable test kit capable of independnetly measuring all of the water parameters.
Most of us here at TFP use the TF100 test kit. Also a good quality kit is the Taylor K2006C.
The TF100 is only available online at TFTestkits.net
the Taylor kit is available a lot of places online.

Here are some links for references and to get you a good start.
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Also, if you will please add your pool details to your signature, it will help us help you. So many of the answers to future questions will be dependent on knowing what you have. If its in your signature, then we dont have to keep asking, or jump back and forth from post to post looking for it.

Thanks for the welcome and thanks Dave for the essential links in your post. I have printed the ABC's and Cl/CYA charts. Acid, DE, and Chlorine were added on Monday and the PH barely reads 6.0. It looks like the pool's auto fill line is leaking and the company I am going through is out to fix it. I am still sweeping away and concerned with some streaking/high plaster areas. The pool co. tells me that they will smooth out with proper ph and sweeping.

Welcome, nearby person, relatively speaking :wave:

If you don't already have a test kit, get one. If you've done any reading at all, you've seen the horror stories of pool builders who drop the ball as soon as the pool is full. You need to stay on top of it. Maybe the contract says they maintain it the first 30 days or whatever - don't count on it. They may add acid and disappear for a week while the pH climbs and climbs. Yeah... it's technically their problem if something bad happens to the plaster, but try collecting on it. Whoever said talk is cheap never hired a lawyer. It's better if you keep tabs on it. A pool is like a pet. Abuse it when it's a puppy and it will be foul tempered and unpleasant its whole life. Better to be kind early on and enjoy it for years.