Would adding HypoCal and PH+ at the same make pool go cloudy?

Richard_S

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2011
SW France
Hi Peeps,

help please!!

OK SW pool, had a low PH (7.00) with no visible chlorine this morning - lots of thunderstorms in the last few days. Tested CC chlorine and none present

so...sadly I had to do this by remote as the pool is looked after by caretaker and I got her to add 1.5Kg of Hypocal powder to raise/sort of shock pool (calculator says it should bring it up to about 6ppm.

Asked caretaker to add PH+ to raise PH to 7.6 for PH7.0 Best guessed estimate at a distance was to add 1.5Kg of PH+ powder according to calculator.

Pool has now gone very cloudy (renters tell me)....Is this because both chemicals were added at the same time? I am getting her to go back to pool and take readings again...she's on her way, but in the meantime can any body shed some light on this?

thanks so much for any help...Very difficult to do this at a distance via 3rd Parties.....but any crumbs of comfort would be much appreciated.

Hmmm turns out that Ph+ powder has massively increased PH to 8 (or more...can't tell) Have added HCL in the hopes of clearing the cloudiness. Will keep you posted how it goes by tomorrow morning with 1L of 24% Acid.

Need to find the Taylor K2006 acid demand table - Anyone? As it's with the kit over 1000 miles away...

Short answer is maybe. The added calcium from cal hypo plus the higher pH could produce a high CSI, which could cause the calcium in the water to precipitate. It can cause not only cloudy water but also scale. Neither of these are recommend pool chemicals on the forum.

when you say "neither chemicals"...apart from the Hypo cal, which are you referring to?
I'm not sure what you have available to you in France, but commercial packaged pH+ is generally grossly overpriced.

In the U.S. We try to use "generic" products which are generally less expensive. Check out this article in Pool School, specifically the pH section for some ideas. Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

As to the Cal Hypo, while,there is a place for it, just like TriChlor and Dichlor it adds something to,your pool you may not need - in the case of CalHypo it raises your calcium levels. You vinyl,lined pool,does not need calcium, so it is really not needed in your pool and over time can build,up in the water and cause scale to form on the liner.

Hi Tim,

thanks for that. I tend to use Cal Hypo periodically, as it's what the local shop sells in France and have found it extremely effective. I now have a big 5 gallon container of Chlorine from them, but don't know what concentration it is (I asked the caretaker, but sadly, it doesn't seem to be noted on the label) so cannot at this stage use that until I have worked things out. Seems the PH+ was way stronger than indicated. I have had to add 2L of HLC to bring the pool back to norm. The pool is clearing but slowly so pump is on 24hrs/24hrs at the mo. A test on the chlorine tells me that this is holding at 3ppm overnight and that there is no CC, so I think this is, as chief mentioned, some kind of Calcium precipitation. Fingers crossed that the filtration does it's job, as I'm out of ideas otherwise, apart from emptying the pool partly and refilling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.