Changing out bearings. Noisy motor.

bobodaclown

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2011
Murrieta, CA
Hello All,
Well my 2-speed motor starting making noises this week. The pump its self is a Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P) (Frankensteined to a 2-speed) Ordered a new shaft seal and bearings for my AO Smith SQL1072R. Motor was installed in summer of 2013.
Pump Motor LR.jpg

The shaft seal was $5 for a PS200 and the bearings 6203-2RS (ABEC3) were $6 for both ends.

Hopefully the motor will come apart without too many issues.

I'll try to take some pictures and post the results here. In case it takes longer than a day I've got a 3/4 single speed standing by.

OK. Changed out the bearings. It was pretty easy overall.

Here's the steps I followed:
How To Replace the Bearings in a Pool Pump Motor - Part I - INYOPools.com

How To Replace the Bearings in a Pool Pump Motor - Part II - INYOPools.com

Had to stop 1/2 way through. Didn't have a piece of pipe (3/4 inch black or galvanized about 6 inches long (homedepot) and needed a snap ring pliers (autozone).

Took me about 3 hours. The hardest part was that I overtightened the V-Switch on the back side and needed to adjust it and rebend the bracket. How To Adjust the V-Switch on a Hayward Super Pump Motor - INYOPools.com

$12 bucks for parts. We'll see how long the bearings last.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.