Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting ready to go on vacation -- what does my petsitter need to do while I'm gone?

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting ready to go on vacation -- what does my petsitter need to do while I'm gone?

I am preparing for my first vacation since I have become a pool owner.

I have a petsitter who will be coming to my house on a daily basis. She's a reliable person who will carry out any instructions I leave her. I anticipate that the pool will be used minimally (if at all) while I'm gone (I've told the petsitter than she can use it but don't know if she will).

Here are my current numbers, based on daily testing over the past 2 weeks:
    FC: 6 - 10 (maintained with SWCG, no additional chlorine added)
    CC: 0
    pH: 7.4 - 8.0 (tends to drift up which I am managing by adding muriatic acid as needed)
    TA: 100 (working on getting this down by using muriatic acid to manage pH)
    CH: 260
    CYA: 70

Has anyone prepared instructions for while they are away that they would be willing to share with me? Any other pointers?
    Brand new pool owner -- first day of swimming July 4, 2015! 22,000 gallon custom (14 x 40 rectangle) gunite in-ground pool with Stonescape plaster (Irish Mist). Hayward Pro Series sand filter (S244T2), Hayward TriStar pump (SP3207X10), Hayward Goldline Turbo Cell T-Cell-15 SWCG with Pro Logic control panel. Taylor K2006-C test kit. Mom to three boys, eight rescue parrots, and two dogs.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Getting ready to go on vacation -- what does my petsitter need to do while I'm go

Since you have a SWG there shouldn't be much to do. I would bring the pH down to 7.2, make sure the SWG is set right, working and clean. And ask your pet sitter to empty the skimmers every couple days. That's about it.

BTW: With a 22k pool you are going to find that the T-9 cell you have is marginal. You will be replacing it sooner rather than later. When it goes (in a year or two), do yourself a favor and replace it with a T-15. It cost a few dollars more, but will last a lot longer.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Getting ready to go on vacation -- what does my petsitter need to do while I'm go

Maybe some other things to leave for the sitter:
    - Emergency number to pool builder (just in case)
    - Depending on how long you are gone, how to test for chlorine?
    - Instructions on what to look for around pool and pump station (shut-offs, breakers, normal gauge readings, etc)

Enjoy!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Chiefwej, just this week I have had a rather heated email exchange with my pool builder regarding the size of my SWCG. I think it's marginal (and mentioned this concern before it was installed); they insist it is more than adequate. Unfortunately they have gotten quite nasty about it. I even offered to pay the difference in cost but they still refuse. It is short sighted of them because it is going to earn them a negative online review from me (this SWCG isn't the only issue, it's just the cherry on top of a relationship that's been strained for a while).
    Brand new pool owner -- first day of swimming July 4, 2015! 22,000 gallon custom (14 x 40 rectangle) gunite in-ground pool with Stonescape plaster (Irish Mist). Hayward Pro Series sand filter (S244T2), Hayward TriStar pump (SP3207X10), Hayward Goldline Turbo Cell T-Cell-15 SWCG with Pro Logic control panel. Taylor K2006-C test kit. Mom to three boys, eight rescue parrots, and two dogs.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

A brand new T-15 cell only cost $400. In the grand scheme of a pool build, its not really that big. Since the control panel is the same it's an easy upgrade. Don't let that sour your excitement about your new pool. I just wanted you to be aware that it may cause you to have to run at higher % settings and it won't last as long. When you do have to replace, go for the T-15.

You should also be aware that in a new SWG pool you will be battling a constantly rising pH. It is normal and your consumption of muratic acid will taper off over time. Make sure to keep you pH under control to prevent scale from forming.

Enjoy your vacation, and congratulations on your new pool.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit