Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What causes red, stinging eyes?

1. Back To Top    #1

What causes red, stinging eyes?

I'm on day 10 of balancing my pool chemistry, and so far, so good. On the second or third day my wife and I had a little bit of red, stinging eyes which seems to be gone now. At that time, my pH was about 7.2 (now 7.5), TA was about 50 (now 120), and FC was all over the place between 1 and 10 (probably will start to stabilize now that I've brought the CYA up from 0 to 30). Also, CH has come up from 25 to 150 and will be more tomorrow as I added another dose of calcium chloride today. CC was 0.5 on the first day and has been 0 ever since.

What is the most likely culprit that causes eye problems? Low pH? High FC? Low TA or CH? Something else? I'd like to be able to tell my wife what I did right so she continues to keep thinking that I know what I'm doing!
    22K 16'x40' inground fiberglass pool, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand filter, Hayward dual speed 2 hp Super II Pump, Hayward AquaRite SWG, Raypak 400K btu propane heater, Dolphin Supreme M400 cleaning robot, CoverPool auto cover. Also stand-alone Sundance Hawthorne 430 gallon hot tub.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What causes red, stinging eyes?

If you've tested and there are no CCs in the water, the most likely culprit would have been the lower pH in my opinion.

How high are you looking to take your CH? Stop at 220 or so.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Very high FC (above the FC/CYA recommendations) can cause stinging eyes.
    Also very low or very high pH can do it, but not at 7.2.

The most common cause, is chloramines, which is a byproduct of chlorine that has been "used up" while killing off organics.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Usually that is due to CC or the pH being off. But if you had almost no CYA and a FC up around 10ppm, that would be very very harsh.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

^^^yup^^^

that would certainly do it.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, everybody. YippeeSkippy, my CH target is 200-220. No sense going higher than that with fiberglass. And I'm aiming for 40 for the CYA and hoping that keeps the FC level stable. I don't know what I would have done without these guidelines!

22K 16'x40' inground fiberglass pool, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand filter, Hayward dual speed 2 hp Super II Pump, Hayward AquaRite SWG, Raypak 400K btu propane heater, Dolphin Supreme M400 cleaning robot, CoverPool auto cover. Also stand-alone Sundance Hawthorne 430 gallon hot tub.

7. Back To Top    #7

Good plan! I hope the red eyes have now resolved
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain