Add Muratic Acid and Wait to Aerate How Long?

john.esher

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Havertown, PA
So I went to pool school and determined that to lower my TA of 120, I need to lower the pH which will reduce the TA. I added Muratic acid in an amount suggested by pool math, and then right away turned my return jet toward the surface. I just measured pH and TA (about 5 hours after acid addition) and got roughly 7.0 and 120 respectively.

Am I doing this correctly, or should I be waiting a few hours with the lower pH before turning the jet?

Do my results seem appropriate and I just need to be a little more patient? Was hoping for a late afternoon/evening swim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi John,
you're doing it right. No need to wait on starting the aerating.

As for testing, it takes about 30 minutes with the pump running to get a good test result. No need to wait several hours to test after you have added something.

hope this helps,

From Pool School:

It is actually the acid which lowers TA. Adding acid lowers both the PH and the TA. Then aeration raises the PH without changing TA.
TA does not fall with rising PH. Only acid reduces TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.