Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Add Muratic Acid and Wait to Aerate How Long?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Havertown, PA

Add Muratic Acid and Wait to Aerate How Long?

So I went to pool school and determined that to lower my TA of 120, I need to lower the pH which will reduce the TA. I added Muratic acid in an amount suggested by pool math, and then right away turned my return jet toward the surface. I just measured pH and TA (about 5 hours after acid addition) and got roughly 7.0 and 120 respectively.

Am I doing this correctly, or should I be waiting a few hours with the lower pH before turning the jet?

Do my results seem appropriate and I just need to be a little more patient? Was hoping for a late afternoon/evening swim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Intex 18' x 52" AG with Sand Filter Pump & SWG (Model ECO15110) about 7,600 gallons tested with a K-2006-SALT.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Longview, Texas

Re: Add Muratic Acid and Wait to Aerate How Long?

Hi John,
    you're doing it right. No need to wait on starting the aerating.

As for testing, it takes about 30 minutes with the pump running to get a good test result. No need to wait several hours to test after you have added something.

hope this helps,
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge. Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

The TA and pH will lower at the same time when the acid is added. You can start aeration right away.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Lakeland, FL

Aerate. Jump in, get the kids jumping in.
    Last edited by bobodaclown; 08-01-2015 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Corrected post. Deleted incorrect information.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5
    Pleasanton, CA

From Pool School:

It is actually the acid which lowers TA. Adding acid lowers both the PH and the TA. Then aeration raises the PH without changing TA.
    TA does not fall with rising PH. Only acid reduces TA.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner