Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leak or no leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Leak or no leak

Hello, this season has been a rainy season and i have been letting water out of my pool and the past few weeks the rain cease fire and the kids have been able to swim almost every day. The first week the weather has been 90 almost every day and in a weeks time my pool has dropped 2" in water depth and we also noticed a couple wrinkles in the liner wall. Now i filled the pool to a marked location and the kids swam for another week with the same temps but a little lower. we had noticed again it at the exact line it was the last time in just a weeks time.. thats 564 gallons i have lost again in just a week. We checked all along the water line and all along piping and pools edge and there isnt any wet area what so ever. Thoughts on how i can find this thing or am i just freakin and whats up with the sudden wall wrinkle I had pool for 2 years.

If there is a leak i have some of the pool liner from when it was installed what is the best cement so i can order it just in case.

24' above ground 54"
    Location - Northern Panhandle of West Virginia, 24' Round 54" 15,000 Galllon Azor Above Ground, Pentair 1.5hp 22" Sand Dollar, Aqua Pro500 Heat Pump, Hayward In-Line Tablet Chlorinator, Pool Rover Jr., 16 Mil Ultra Clear Pool Solar Cover,

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Leak or no leak

Generally we say that 1/4" daily drop is about the max to expect from evaporation. Are you losing more or less than that?

Do you know how to perform the bucket test?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

no i dont know what the bucket test even is... Also wbat could have caused the wrinkles and can they be removed?
    Location - Northern Panhandle of West Virginia, 24' Round 54" 15,000 Galllon Azor Above Ground, Pentair 1.5hp 22" Sand Dollar, Aqua Pro500 Heat Pump, Hayward In-Line Tablet Chlorinator, Pool Rover Jr., 16 Mil Ultra Clear Pool Solar Cover,

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Place a bucket filled with pool water on the steps of your pool. Don't submerse it. Watch daily to see if the pool loses more water than the bucket, confirming a pool leak.

If the wrinkle suddenly presented itself, it is usually water behind the liner. They tend to go away as the groundwater recedes.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you i will give it a try starting tomorrow.

6. Back To Top    #6

almost forgot what would you recommenced for a patch adhesive in my vinyl if i do find a hole?

7. Back To Top    #7

Boxer glue is good or any other patch kit for vinyl will work.

We had so much rain several weeks ago, that I let the pool stay high, over the skimmer box. The only downside was a lot of bugs but I was skimming the pool manually on a daily basis. It dried up, got really, really hot n I lost all of that to people using the pool and evaporation. I had to throw the hose in 2 days ago because I was sucking air into the skimmer.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter