Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Did I just hose my pH?

1. Back To Top    #1

Did I just hose my pH?

So I did the drop test per my taylor test kit to see how much I needed to lower pH by, looked-up in their table and it said roughly 40 oz of acid (liquid) to get to 7.5 (since it's a new plaster pool I like to take it to 7.5 knowing it will rise due to the new plaster, isn't it great doing your own testing and "knowing" your pool). So I eyeball about 40 - 50 oz of muriatic acid (29%) and add it to the pool. Come to my desk to enter my numbers into the Jesse's spreadsheet and it tells me to add 20 oz., so I go to pool math and it says 27 oz. So depending on which numbers I use I could have gone over by 100 - 125% in what I added. Did I just hose my pH?
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Did I just hose my pH?

Easiest to just wait 30 minutes and retest
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Retest in a little while. 40 oz won't be too much.

What is the TA?
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Easiest to just wait 30 minutes and retest
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Retest in a little while. 40 oz won't be too much.

What is the TA?
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

5. Back To Top    #5

Acid demand should be fairly accurate. In any case, 40 oz won't be excessive for your TA and pool size.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

UPDATE: Tested about 1:30 later and I'm between 7.2 - 7.5 pH.

Raining like crazy right now (yea it rains in the desert), while I have you, does rain do anything to the water balance, anything I need to look for after the rain storm blows through?

7. Back To Top    #7

Rain should not affect much. Just test and adjust as needed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!