Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stain identification assistance please!

1. Back To Top    #1

Stain identification assistance please!

First, let me say how awesome this site/forum is. And in the interest of full disclosure, we just finished our first SLAM, passing the OCLT last night.

I'm not rushing to fix these stains as first I want to get to know our pool and where it likes to be. But I'd like to look ahead to the future and just get an idea of what's in store. I'll likely wait until the fall to tackle this as I'm pretty sure these are metal stains and the SLAM has left our kids wanting to swim!

We scrubbed the stains with a pumice stone and they lifted somewhat. The vitamin C test also seemed to turn the surrounding area white. So I'm assuming we need to do an ascorbic acid treatment. Do you agree?

The previous owner told us the staining was from the floaters filled with pucks - not sure how accurate that is. There seems to be a ring near the bottom curve of the pool, where the wall meets the floor, that has the same staining. I don't believe it to be algae because it's not brush able at all.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

15k gal IG plaster w/ water feature; 600 gal spa w/ spillway; Pentair VS+SVRS Pump; Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter; Pentair MiniMax NT Heater; Rainbow Lifegard 320 In-Line Feeder (no idea what this does or how it works); Polaris 3900 Sport Cleaner (constantly on its side); Compool Lx3800 Control System; TFT-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stain identification assistance please!

I would tend to agree about the need for ascorbic acid treatment, however have you tested with a trichlor puck to confirm they are not organic?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Stain identification assistance please!

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    I would tend to agree about the need for ascorbic acid treatment, however have you tested with a trichlor puck to confirm they are not organic?
    I haven't! But I will definitely try.

15k gal IG plaster w/ water feature; 600 gal spa w/ spillway; Pentair VS+SVRS Pump; Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter; Pentair MiniMax NT Heater; Rainbow Lifegard 320 In-Line Feeder (no idea what this does or how it works); Polaris 3900 Sport Cleaner (constantly on its side); Compool Lx3800 Control System; TFT-100 test kit.