Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Took over with TFP - am I on the right track?

1. Back To Top    #1

Took over with TFP - am I on the right track?

Tested today after instructions from here yesterday as a result of pool company handling chemicals for first month as part of warranty.

Here is where I am out - keep in mind I'm swg.

August 1
    FC 3.5ppm
    CC 0.5ppm
    Total chlorine 4.0ppm
    CH100ppm
    TA 80
    CYA 45
    New Build started April 2015, 20x30x40 Lagoon Style Vinyl (indigo marble/blue granite), 27,500 GAL, IG, 839 square feet, 9' tanning ledge/baja shelf, 9' radial bench, 8' classic Waterfall, 3'6" to 8'Depth, Sand, Pentair 2 speed Superflow 1 1/2 HP, SWS, 2 Pentair LED Intelibright 5 G lights, Pentair Legend Platinum II pool cleaner, 2 skimmers, 3 returns. 1080 square feet of Silver Slate stamped concrete.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Took over with TFP - am I on the right track?

CYA needs to be at 70- 80 for a SWG.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

It takes up to a week to register right and just added yesterday so I thought getting up to 45 by today was progress should I do more?

New Build started April 2015, 20x30x40 Lagoon Style Vinyl (indigo marble/blue granite), 27,500 GAL, IG, 839 square feet, 9' tanning ledge/baja shelf, 9' radial bench, 8' classic Waterfall, 3'6" to 8'Depth, Sand, Pentair 2 speed Superflow 1 1/2 HP, SWS, 2 Pentair LED Intelibright 5 G lights, Pentair Legend Platinum II pool cleaner, 2 skimmers, 3 returns. 1080 square feet of Silver Slate stamped concrete.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by karynkjd View Post
    It takes up to a week to register right and just added yesterday so I thought getting up to 45 by today was progress should I do more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    did you measure and only add a specific amount with a target CYA in mind?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

I did the calculation on Pool Math and it was around 110 oz into skimmer in sock. It still isn't going up...

6. Back To Top    #6

Do I have to increase the CH also? Going to test again tonight after running the SWG full time for three days and see if the salt went down and where the chlorine is at this point. Supposedly the PB came over yesterday to look at the pool/salt generator. He said the pool had too much salt. hey thanks Captain Obvious, you're the only ones who put salt in. He claims no issue with equipment so - will update tonight. Took some ideas from sunbaby and made a little notebook with reminders and what to use on pool.

Wish me luck

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by karynkjd View Post
    Do I have to increase the CH also? Going to test again tonight after running the SWG full time for three days and see if the salt went down and where the chlorine is at this point. Supposedly the PB came over yesterday to look at the pool/salt generator. He said the pool had too much salt. hey thanks Captain Obvious, you're the only ones who put salt in. He claims no issue with equipment so - will update tonight. Took some ideas from sunbaby and made a little notebook with reminders and what to use on pool.

Wish me luck
    Vinyl pool doesn't need Calcium since there's no plaster to etch. If you see foaming above the returns, raising CH should stop it, but it's not harmful, just annoying. CH will naturally rise with evaporation, too.

Salt will only go down by splashout or replacement. If the SWG isn't showing warning lights, leave it alone. If it's happy with the salt level, you should be, too.

Just assume the CYA you added is there and target FC accordingly. Test it again next week and see where you ended up.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Sounds like a good plan. Thank you so much. The pool is clear for sure just not crystal clear so maybe as the cya rises it will inprove