Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taylor sample sizer tool

1. Back To Top    #1

Taylor sample sizer tool

I was thinking of getting one of these with along with the speedStir for more accurate testing. Does the sample sizer work with the TF-100 tubes?
    TF-100 Test kit, 24,000 gal. free form Vinyl. mybluepool AC-600 SWG, STA-RITE S7MD60 DE filter, 3/4 HP STA-RITE MPRA6D pump, Polaris 280 w/booster, Raypack Propane heater, Looplock mesh cover; All located in New England.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Taylor sample sizer tool

I have one and I love it. Makes water sampling more uniform (I stink at pouring water off from the tube). However, it is designed to work with Taylor P/N 9198 water testing tube. That particular tube comes as part of the SpeedStir. So if you buy the SpeedStir and the SampleSizer together, it should work out fine.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok thanks. So I guess this means the the TF-100 tubes are not compatible?
    TF-100 Test kit, 24,000 gal. free form Vinyl. mybluepool AC-600 SWG, STA-RITE S7MD60 DE filter, 3/4 HP STA-RITE MPRA6D pump, Polaris 280 w/booster, Raypack Propane heater, Looplock mesh cover; All located in New England.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by run53 View Post
    Ok thanks. So I guess this means the the TF-100 tubes are not compatible?
    Sorry, I don't know the answer to that. I have a K-2006.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

The TF-100 vials are not Taylor vials and have a slightly different diameter. The sample sizer is designed to work with the Taylor tubes so it will not be accurate with the TF-100 tubes.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Having used the TF-100 kit for about 5 years now, for the first year or so doing the tests by hand, then adding the Speed-Stir and finally after much debate adding the sample sizer a couple of months ago (I also bought a couple of extra Taylor test tubes). I can say both the Speed Stir and the Sample Sizer are helpful additions to the test kit, but if I had to pick just one it would be the Speed Stir hands down. This is not to say I would give up the sample sizer, it is nice to have, but only shaves maybe a minute off a complete round of tests for me, probably much less, but it does make measuring trivial, plop it in and you have a correct size sample, no closely looking or pouring back and forth.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

I too have added Sample Sizer to my arsenal of pool care products. As stated above the 2 TF-100 vials are different diameter. I can tell you from experience the TF-100 vials are above 14 ml when you accidently add pool water sample and use Sample Sizer hehe.

I use my Taylor vial that came with Speed Stir and then I transfer to my TF-100 chlorine only vial. Sample Sizer is a high quality CNC machined aluminum and I wished I had bought one when I purchased my TF-100 kit and Speed Stir.
    24' Reprieve RD/AG/13K gal Vinyl TFP method
    Waterway Clearwater 175 sqft Cartridge
    Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP Pump 2-Speed
    TF-100 Test Kit SpeedStir Borate Insta Test
    Spreading TFP to All

8. Back To Top    #8

My 2 cents....I have the sampler, used it for the first month, now I am back to pouring into the test tube with a water bottle.....just as fast, just as accurate...

and the Speed Stir is a 'must' have.
    Valley of the Sun, Arizona.....10k gunite/pebble (Re-surface March 2015) w/in floor Caretaker 99 cleaning heads -- Pentair FNS 60 DE filter -- Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed for pool -- Pentair Wisperflo 1 HP for boulder waterfall...Taylor K-2006 & Taylor K-2006C kits

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy70 View Post
    My 2 cents....I have the sampler, used it for the first month, now I am back to pouring into the test tube with a water bottle.....just as fast, just as accurate...

and the Speed Stir is a 'must' have.
    Ditto. I didn't last a month with the sizer. Maybe two tests.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

thanks for all the feedback. I think I will go with just the SpeedStir.

11. Back To Top    #11

Just as an option, I use a 10ml graduated syringe to dispense water into the vials. Probably not as quick as the sample sizer, but it is very accurate.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

I recently got the SampleSizer. I like it since for me, I'm not as good at filling to the 10mL with the eyeball so the SampleSizer removes that variable for me.

I was a little skeptical about its repeatability to displace the exact test amount of excess water when I first heard about this tool here at the forum but after checking for repeatability (hitting the 10mL / 25 mL marks), it's simple to use and fast for me.

I agree with others here though, if one had to choose, the Speedstir is now a "can't do without" tool for me, another tool I discovered at this forum.
    - Pool Type: 15k Gal Gunite IG non-SWG / Built 1988
    - Pump: Pentair Challenger / Sweep Pump: Letro Model LA01N .75HP Single-speed / 6 hrs-day (1 turnover)
    - D.E. Filter: OEM: Nautilus (Pentair) #NS 36 / 36 Sq Ft / D.E. Charge: 3.6 Lb
    - Pentair 4-wheel Sweep LL505G - Booster Pump runs ~2 hrs/day

13. Back To Top    #13

Does the Sampler Sizer work with the CYA test? And do the tubes that come with the Taylor 2006 work with it?
    15' Round Above Ground 5,300 gallons
    Cartridge filter
    Taylor 2006 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Jennica View Post
    Does the Sampler Sizer work with the CYA test? And do the tubes that come with the Taylor 2006 work with it?
    No to the first and Yes to the second.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

Thank you!
    15' Round Above Ground 5,300 gallons
    Cartridge filter
    Taylor 2006 Test Kit