Skimmer Door Requirement

Aug 1, 2015
Wheatfield, NY
First post...

I've had an algae problem recently and learned enough here to solve the problem. So, I figured I should join...

Now just a simple question...

Recently had the flapping door in the skimmer get stuck twice, thus stopping the waterflow and starving the pump. Once it was a drowned bird, the other time a pine cone that must have been blown in by a heavy windstorm. My question is why do I need the door anyway? What are the bad consequences if I remove it?

TIA

We have a circular weir in the skimmer basket. I like it a lot as it doesn't involve a hinged door.

For the full answer to your question, it controls the flow of water to the skimmer basket and also prevents migrating debris entering back into the pool when your pump is off.

Even though the skimmer is pulling water in, there is water flow in and out due to wave action. Without the Weir door, anything floating on the surface of the water would flow in and out of the skimmer. As well, when the pump shuts off, anything in the skimmer would eventually float back out into the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.