Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer Door Requirement

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer Door Requirement

First post...

I've had an algae problem recently and learned enough here to solve the problem. So, I figured I should join...

Now just a simple question...

Recently had the flapping door in the skimmer get stuck twice, thus stopping the waterflow and starving the pump. Once it was a drowned bird, the other time a pine cone that must have been blown in by a heavy windstorm. My question is why do I need the door anyway? What are the bad consequences if I remove it?

TIA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer Door Requirement

Hop in the pool, remove the weir door, get to jumping up and down and you will see what effect it has.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Skimmer Door Requirement

We have a circular weir in the skimmer basket. I like it a lot as it doesn't involve a hinged door.

For the full answer to your question, it controls the flow of water to the skimmer basket and also prevents migrating debris entering back into the pool when your pump is off.
    11k gal ig vinyl, Challenger 1hp, Heyward 3030 cartridge filter, intermatic PF1103T timer w/ freeze protection, dolphin 4 deluxe.

4. Back To Top    #4

Even though the skimmer is pulling water in, there is water flow in and out due to wave action. Without the Weir door, anything floating on the surface of the water would flow in and out of the skimmer. As well, when the pump shuts off, anything in the skimmer would eventually float back out into the pool.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

The weir also increases surface water velocity into the skimmer causing more debris to be sucked into the skimmer.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

OK, I get it. Thanks for the advice.